Brewelder’s 1st Brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You want to transfer from the collection jar the white creamy layer.
Do this before dry hopping, although some hop going across won't be a disaster. Store it in sterile pot with lid ( not tight) until re use in the fridge.
Jar with a bit of water and then microwave to boil the water should be nearly sterile.
Lid pour boiling water on it.

I would collect the yeast before dry hopping. But to be honest, I never re-used yeast from dry hopped beer yet.

You want to transfer from the collection jar the white creamy layer.
Do this before dry hopping, although some hop going across won't be a disaster. Store it in sterile pot with lid ( not tight) until re use in the fridge.
Jar with a bit of water and then microwave to boil the water should be nearly sterile.
Lid pour boiling water on it.
How do you seperate the yeast from the trub?

You can do some wash/cold crash cycle, but every time you add water to it, you risk to introduce nasties.

How do you seperate the yeast from the trub?
you can let it settle in the bottle and decant off the layers you want to keep / dispose.

You could say why bother as pitching onto a yeast cake from a previous brew is a well recognised technique and that obviously includes trub and hop debris.

you can let it settle in the bottle and decant off the layers you want to keep / dispose.

You could say why bother as pitching onto a yeast cake from a previous brew is a well recognised technique and that obviously includes trub and hop debris.
His previous yeast cake has 200g of dry hop in it on this occasion.

Several articles and papers about reusing hops from dry hops in a further brew. By pitching next wort onto it.
Craft beer and brewer had article on it a while ago.
Are you serious? This is his 2nd all grain brew, and you'd encourage him to carry out an experiment which can go to the wrong way very badly. I wouldn't call it a too helpful behaviour.
@Brewelder if you have any doubts please use the yeast came with your 2nd kit.

Are you serious? This is his 2nd all grain brew, and you'd encourage him to carry out an experiment which can go to the wrong way very badly. I wouldn't call it a too helpful behaviour.
I'm not suggesting it at all. Just pointing out that information.
I kept it as simple as possible on my first several brews, steering away from dry hopping, closed ferments, whirlpool, liquid yeasts, starters etc.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

You or other readers may want to widen your knowledge.

I'm not suggesting it at all. Just pointing out that information.
I kept it as simple as possible on my first several brews, steering away from dry hopping, closed ferments, whirlpool, liquid yeasts, starters etc.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

You or other readers may want to widen your knowledge.

I'm not sure I'd risk a brew/a days work for that.
For some styles I safely rack fresh wort on the previous yeast cake, even multiple times.
But this one could turn out something undrinkable bitter ****. Not everything is necessarily true if it's printed on a paper/published on the mighty internet.

I'm not sure I'd risk a brew/a days work for that.
For some styles I safely rack fresh wort on the previous yeast cake, even multiple times.
But this one could turn out something undrinkable bitter ****. Not everything is necessarily true if it's printed on a paper/published on the mighty internet.
Published in a peer reviewed journal as outcomes of scientific research and accessible via the internet. Not the random musings of someones on the internet.

I saw something like that on Youtube, but doesn’t that just multiply the amount of trub in the bottom of the fermenter? I have quite a lot as it is.

Yeah I’m leaning towards that, but after seeing the Verdant in action i was impressed and just wondered if it was feasible to recover-reuse? Saying that it’s only £4 for a satchet so why bother?

Latest posts

Back