Brewers Gold....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dronfieldbrewer

Landlord.
Reaction score
I am getting a bit fed up with the all American pale citrus fruit hop bombs...I fancy doing a single hop extra pale....

Lager malt
Wheat malt
Say 4.2....4.4%
Brewers gold to say 27-28 IBU
Heaps of Brewers gold at flameout and steep...

Then fermented with US05

Anyone done anything similar?

I single hopped a golden coloured ale with brewer's gold. Having one now:grin: I love it.

I have Rob, it was really nice.

I brewed it to about 6.2%, 19l batch. Pale malt and a little cara. Think it was 50g start boil, 20g halfway and 10g for last ten mins.

Really good brew. If I did it again I'd probably add 100g wheat to the mash.

Cheers,

DirtyC

what sort of flavours do you get from it as a single hop...

For 50 litres I was going to try:-

9Kg of Lager malt
1/2 kg of Wheat malt

Hops

65 gms Brewers gold 6.7aa at start of boil 90 mins
35 gms Brewers gold 6.7aa for the last 15 mins
100 gms Brewers gold 6.7aa at end of boil...steep for 20 mins

I found it a sharp hoppy flavour.

Would probably do half a kilo kilo cara as well and ease back on your final hop addition.

Hope it turns out nice!

DirtyC

Cara seems like a good idea. I had munich in my version. A little maltyness complements this hop nicely. Proper hop flavour with some pine. Mine is around 4%. Used notty. Not too much co2. Tastes like a nice bitter ale.

yep looks good, glad to see someone else is expting to replace the american hops aswell.
personally for hopping i like mine at first wort - as for amount it seems fair enough to use that many hops just makesure to let the final ones steep a bit otherwise not gonna gain much lobbing them all in - a bit of aromatic malt also seems like a cheap sub for munich aswell, get bags of maltyness from my ones ive used it in (125g approx in 20l)

tbh for my single hop with pilgrim kinda wished i had use more than 100g- sometimes just not enough for some varietys, but its v early days yet

Brewed one of these. Checking notes it is about 90% pale malt, 5% caramalt and 5% wheat. 4.2% abv, 35 IBU. Apart from bittering hops, there was one addition at 15m. Then 60g of Brewers' Gold at 5m and a further 40g at flameout on hop stand for 20m. Further dry hopped with 50g of Brewers' Gold.

Probably one of the best beers I've brewed, smooth, a tad sweet and extremely fruity. Hop flavour was a bit like peaches, bramble berries (blackberry). No citrus, which was great. Not particularly bitter, so in the future I'm increasing IBUs in similar beers. You're looking at 200g of Brewers' Gold for 20 litres, though. Favourite hop of mine this far!

JKaranka said:
Brewed one of these. Checking notes it is about 90% pale malt, 5% caramalt and 5% wheat. 4.2% abv, 35 IBU. Apart from bittering hops, there was one addition at 15m. Then 60g of Brewers' Gold at 5m and a further 40g at flameout on hop stand for 20m. Further dry hopped with 50g of Brewers' Gold.

Probably one of the best beers I've brewed, smooth, a tad sweet and extremely fruity. Hop flavour was a bit like peaches, bramble berries (blackberry). No citrus, which was great. Not particularly bitter, so in the future I'm increasing IBUs in similar beers. You're looking at 200g of Brewers' Gold for 20 litres, though. Favourite hop of mine this far!

Yes some black berries. I brewed mine to 30 IBUs. Will use more next time as well.

Yeah, it's good. It's pretty much like an American hop but without the citrus and grapefruit (in my experience). Going to try El Dorado next, and combining it with Brewer's Gold.

Yes brewed a golden one as well with BG. Almost amber. Was great. Think i will make another batch. Will make a brown ale with some other hops later.

Will be racking the Brewers Gold to corney tomorrow, the initial tastes are really good. I wish i shoved a little more caramalt in it.

its as sharp and crisp as a tack.

Just tried a PGsips from Bluemonkey that is a single hopped Brewers Gold job...brilliant beer. This is an underrated hop big style

This is really odd....

I've got this conditioned up...now I know that this hop is not an american jobby...but Ive got lemon and lime flavours from this in a BIG WAY!!!....not offensive but shouting at me from afar...I think I might have over done the hops a bit....

There's no such thing as overdoing hops! Next you'll say water is too wet!

Yeah, I've got pretty fruity / tropical with BG. The thing I like, though, is that it doesn't have that much of that grapefruit flavour, but it's a tad more rounded, more red.

agreed, cant over hop enough atm, but if too hoppy it will dissapate in a month or so- dont know how brewdog lock so much in- must esp extract the oils or something???

Back