Brewing Enhancer clumped - what should I do?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ulysses1

Reaction score
As per title and attached photo, I didnt realise until after I added the yeast and the brew settled. It's been brewing for about 5 hours so far.

It's not a lot so was thinking about leaving it and sifting prior to bottling, it's my first brew though so wanted to ask.

Attachments

• 20210615_155831.jpg
    20210615_155831.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 20210615_155836.jpg
    20210615_155836.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 40
As Iain said, the yeast will munch through it.

The only slight issue is that your original gravity reading would be under, but it's not really that big of a deal.

What would that mean in relation to the brew? Would it effect the alcohol content or flavour?

It won't change the flavour, but if you think that your starting gravity is 1.040 (because of the clumps of enhancer not registering on the refractomer or hydrometer), but is in fact 1.055, then your beer will have a higher alcohol content than your OG / FG ratio would suggest.

Just drink 6 pints of it when it's finished and see how p1ssed you get, then estimate the ABV from there :laugh8: :beer1:

Last edited:
It won't change the flavour, but if you think that your starting gravity is 10.40 (because of the clumps of enhancer not registering on the refractomer or hydrometer), but is in fact 10.55, then your beer will have a higher alcohol content than your OG / FG ratio would suggest.

Just drink 6 pints of it when it's finished and see how p1ssed you get, then estimate the ABV from there :laugh8: :beer1:

Sounds like a good way to work out the ABV to me :laugh8:acheers.

Thanks for the help guys

In future a good way to start off your brew without getting clumps in brew enhancer or dry malt extract is to add 3 litres of water to a large saucepan of cold water. Add the Dry Malt Extract (DME) or brew enhancer and bring it up to a boil whilst mixing it with a whisk. Turn heat off just as it approaches boil temp. Add your beer kit and give it a good whisk. Then pour it into your fermentation bucket and top up with cold water to get it up to 23 litres. Give it a good stir. You will have no clumps. Best of luck and enjoy your first brew. I just put on my 10th brew recently. There is nothing like drinking your own beer.

Latest posts

Back