Brewing Kits and ABV

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edd

Reaction score
Hi All,

Been brewing kits now for a couple of years and one thing that seems to be a bit uncertain is hitting the ABV that is advised for the kit.

For example take the Wherry that I have in the FV at the moment, OG 1.040 and the instructions state FG 1.014 or below and the best I have achieved is 1.012. According to the various calculators on the net I'm not even getting 4%, so falling short of at least 1/2%.

My process is to mix up contents as per instructions, add yeast (supplied with kit), and let it ferment out. I keep the temperature as stable as I can using a belt heater placed at the bottom of the barrel and a timer. I vary the on/off ratio of the timer to keep the temp about 23 deg C +/- 1 deg.

Water - that is cold water straight out of the tap, except the first 6 pints is boiled.

Brews are usually kegged in a King Keg Top Tap.

Any ideas how can improve the process to get closer to the suggested ABV of the kit ???

I did read on a forum when I first started that someone managed to get close to 6% out of a standard wherry kit. :hmm:

No other problems with the kits, turn out really well and I like them very much, but I would like to improve the ABV a little if I could.

It's probably not much help, but the only kit that I have ever used also produced a beer that was nowhere near the specified ABV. I wonder if it is down to kits containing older yeasts that necessitate a starter?

Cheers Paul,

Yeast is one thing that has been on my mind, but I know nothing about yeasts, so have no idea what would be a better supplement for the standard out of the box yeast.

Thanks

Edd,

What fermentables did you use and how much? it can make a difference what is used and how much, also you can do a lower amount, say 20ltrs instead of 23ltrs that would up the ABV?

For the Wherry thats spot on 3.8% is the ABV for Wherry :thumb:

If you want it higher do as Hollow legs sugests and brew short or try a different kit like Head cracker (7%) or Nelsons revenge (4.5%).

the kits have a far too optimistic FG i think. SG is fixed pretty much as the kits should be pretty constant, so in order to get the strength they claim you would have to get at least 1.008, which i do not think is likely to happen for a premium kit.

I tend to brew them slightly short, or add a little sugar. Beware though, adding sugar can spoil the brews if you add too much.

Thanks Guys for your input.

Hollow Legs - only used everything as per instructions, tinned malt/hops supplied, yeast they supplied and and just added water up to 23 litres. I have before tried a shorter brew but can't remember what FG I got. (maybe a good sign :cool: ). I'll give it another try.

Snail59 - Thanks for the confirmation that I'm doing things right. I can't remember if i have done a headcracker probably put off by lower volume of beer at the end of the process so probably not.

Shearclass - Yep I tend to agree that the ABV seems to be over egged. I did try a wherry with added sugar and managed about 4.9% which was great, however it did taste quite sweet probably due to using granulated sugar.

Edd said:
I did try a wherry with added sugar and managed about 4.9% which was great, however it did taste quite sweet probably due to using granulated sugar.
That would be nothing to do with the sugar addition, granulated sugar (sucrose) is fully fermentable. However, Wherry fermentations are often reported as sticking around the 1.020 mark, which is a rather sweet beer, but that is probably down to the insufficient quantity of unremarkable yeast which is supplied with the kit.

Sugar adds nothing to your brew other than alcohol content, and can make your brew taste thin and watery.

Cheers Moley,

I have heard of that with these kits.

Would you recommend using a different yeast to that supplied in the kit? if so which ?

The wherry that I modified, found some notes on it, I brewed short (35 pints) then added sugar (9oz I believe) to make up a OG of 1.050.
Unfortunately I never recorded the FG :roll: :roll: :roll: so I can't remember what it came out at. However it must have been close to the 1.014 detailed on the kit instructions because I remember my calculation for the ABV being some 4.9% after it had fermented out.

I have a Nelsons Revenge to go on next and last time I brewed that it came out at 3.5% somewhat short of the expected 5%. :hmm:

Any ideas on how to improve this would be greatfully received.

Ed

I agree 100% with Moley on the use of extra sugar. Brewing short is the best option. This (in theory) should add body and taste as well as upping the ABV (I don't understand the need to do this though as I have had some cracking beers at below 4%). Using a different yeast will help. Safale SO4 is a good option as would be Nottingham or Windsor. You could try Dry Hopping (never done it myself but a search on the forum should bring up some results). From an OG of 1.050 you would have needed to get down to 1.013 to achieve 4.9%.

Thanks Snail,

Actually the S04 rings a bell so will get some for future brews. :thumb:

Thanks for doing the Calc for the FG, I don't recall it having problems.

Ed

Just a thought, the FG is normally measured just prior to kegging or bottling, does the manufacturers figure include the extra alcohol produced by carbonisation?
I guess this wouldn't include forced carbonisation where no sugar is used.

Cheers

Back