Keg King Chubby to 50L Keg, Maxi BIAB, Suggested Recipes?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K C L

Reaction score
Hey all,

I’ve started extract brewing with a small kettle (5 us gallons / about 18/19l) and a keg king chubby.

I’m looking for any suggested recipes & advice on high gravity brewing/ Maxi BIAB. I’d like to use the Chubby to get a 4/5% abv lager in a 50 litre / 1/2 barrel keg.

I understand that the keg can have 30-40% water added, pre boiled to remove oxygen and even purged with co2….

What kind of starting gravity would I need and how much water in the keg? How many extra IBU’s would I need in the kettle?

Many thanks for any tips and suggestions!

If go wirh a 33% water addition of water, the math would dictate that everything would need to be ⅓ higher. But I am not sure flavour is linear.

If you have purchased a 30l kk why are you bothering? I think I have missed something.

You also don't mention the beer style or recipe, I think that might make a difference too.

Thinking out loud... Could you do this on an online recipe calculator at full volume and then reduce the liquor?

So I guess the question is, can you dilute twice with the Maxi BIAB method in mind?

I’d like to go from a 18/19 Litre (5 US gallon) kettle to the chubby which can hold up to 30 liters by liquoring back sparge water or adding LME?

I imagine maximum I can ferment would be around 27 liters?

Then post fermentation could I dilute again? Say 27 liters + 40% deoxygenated water + purged keg to make a maximum of 37 liters?

Aiming for a 4/5% Lager....

Latest posts

Back