Brewing on the Trub - All good so far...Thanks to the forum

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewbob

Regular.
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I asked about brewing a fresh brew on the trub of an old one. Well today I gave it a go...

I had a Festival Summer Glory Golden Ale, the limited edition one with the little sachet of dried elderflower, ready to go into a secondary to clear and a Wherry ready to brew. So I sterilized everything I needed in advance and set off (I might add I had 2hrs sleep after my night-shifts and had night mania upon me!).

1st I put the wherry wort into a 10l pot, added boiling water, and mixed as you would, then I topped it up with cold water and left it to cool.

Then I put the Festival into the secondary FV and took that into the garage. Nice and cool now, should clear a treat :)

Next I took the Wherry wort, made sure it was cool enough so as not to damage the yeast, chucked it in the FV and added another few litres of cold water to make sure it was cool then gave it a real vigorous stir and created lots of foamy head, and topped up to 23 or so litres. The OG was about 1045 and it was 22C, so I left that in the warm.

Finally I also had a Wilko Cerveza ready for the PB, so I done that with a cup of sugar and left that in the kitchen also.

Not bad for 2hrs sleep I thought.. I would have got another brew on, my Woodforde Nelson, but I was tired, didn't want to brew on the trub of the Cerveza and didn't have anymore sterilizing stuff left...

This was all at 3pm, at about 10pm I was in my living room reading a book and heard a gentle bubble coming from the closed door of the kitchen. I strained my ears and sure enough 30secs later another one. Now at 11pm there is nearly an inch of head and it is happily bubbling away every 20-30secs.

So I know fermentation is happening, I just hope now its clean, only time will tell, but I'll be quite excited if it works. I have to say its only down to being a member of this forum that I've tried this technique, I saw a mention of it, asked a couple of questions, decided it was viable and gave it a go. If it works I'll be right chuffed, and interested to see the results of what flavours will be passed onto the Wherrry, if not then, ho-hum, a lesson learned and I'll be asking GA for his beersalmic recipe...

Now as I write this I've still only had those 2hrs sleep today, 4hrs sleep yesterday, 2 night shifts under my belt. The in-laws did take us out though for roast and pints, so I'm sated and sedated. Night all :thumb:

Whilst I know it's not best practise, I done this and the resulting beer won 2nd place at TST :party:

There shouldn't be any transfer of flavours but if you pitch directly on the yeast cake you are probably massively overpitching.
This is why if doing this you'd tend to brew a higher gravity batch.
You may find your ferment will complete in record time too :thumb:

Well the brew is done I've put it in a PB with 100g of Tate and Lyle. Its quite cloudy but tastes good and I have about 4kits or so to get through first so it should clear. Also as I've brewed it on the trub of an elderflower brew it has really changed the flavour of a normal wherry into something more floral. So I'm quite looking forward to trying this when it comes good in a couple of months :thumb:

Back