Brewster beacon cutting out

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfrogs

Reaction score
I am on with my 3rd brew with my brewster beacon and towards the end of the boil its been tripping out a lot.The display and PCB switch light goes off and comes back on in 30 or so seconds. luckily I set the timer on my cooker so I know the timings. Its a real downer and I will be contacting the supplier tomorrow but in the mean time has anybody any ideas?

Hi,

Did the supplier changed your brewster beacon? I am interested in buying one and therefore understand if is worth the investment or if the quality is just not there.

Do you have a lot of crud on the bottom plate? I don't know the model but if there is a build up it will trip out the cheap tea urns and prevent a rolling boil. To stop it you need to boil wort with less particulates in or scrape the bottom of the pot more during the boil.

Hi there!

I own a BrewMonk and bought the Brewster bottom filter. Works great for me. Are you using that filter? Maybe it touches the heating sensor and that may cause your problem.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Just purchased the Brewster Beacon and will complete my 1st brew this weekend, I’ll keep an eye open for any tripping issues.

I will say the build quality looks good on the initial box opening and I’m hoping the bottom filter stops any clogging, I also purchased a whirlpool arm, so hoping to give that a go.

I have the Brewster Beacon and think overall the quality is very good. I don't have issues with cutting out but one issue I have is that as it reaches the boil it creates a lot of bubbles under the hop filter which eventually esape causing a very unverving explosion of bubbles which with near boiling wort is concerning as it nearly comes over the top. Anyone else have this problem?

I am on with my 3rd brew with my brewster beacon and towards the end of the boil its been tripping out a lot.The display and PCB switch light goes off and comes back on in 30 or so seconds. luckily I set the timer on my cooker so I know the timings. Its a real downer and I will be contacting the supplier tomorrow but in the mean time has anybody any ideas?
Hi bigfrogs if you use a multi exstention the coiled type change to a single lead, i had the same problem with my klarstein

I have the Brewster Beacon and think overall the quality is very good. I don't have issues with cutting out but one issue I have is that as it reaches the boil it creates a lot of bubbles under the hop filter which eventually esape causing a very unverving explosion of bubbles which with near boiling wort is concerning as it nearly comes over the top. Anyone else have this problem?
Yes I used to have this problem with the Bewster, I now dough in a lot slower and really mix the grains stiring the filter at the bottom as I go and have found it to be a lot better at sparging as well (quicker). I've done the last three brews this way and all is good.

Yes I used to have this problem with the Bewster, I now dough in a lot slower and really mix the grains stiring the filter at the bottom as I go and have found it to be a lot better at sparging as well (quicker). I've done the last three brews this way and all is good.
Thanks for reply....I don't quite see how this would help? Is the filter not sitting on the bottom literally just above the element and then the grains in the basket inbetween the two grain filters?

Thanks for reply....I don't quite see how this would help? Is the filter not sitting on the bottom literally just above the element and then the grains in the basket inbetween the two grain filters?
I think it stops the grain flour settling on the area that heats just below the filter, seems to work for me and I'm going to carry on with this until proven wrong athumb..

While most of the starch will recirculate as it converts to sugar and dumped at the top of the grain bed some will stick to the base above the element, mashing low, 1500 to 1700 watt helps prevent the build up causing a cut out.

While most of the starch will recirculate as it converts to sugar and dumped at the top of the grain bed some will stick to the base above the element, mashing low, 1500 to 1700 watt helps prevent the build up causing a cut out.
I turn mine down to 900 watt to mash, otherwise it overshoots temp.

Latest posts

Back