Brewzilla 65l 3.1.1 Problems?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleteamairways

Reaction score
Hi while a relative forum nubie I am a Brewzilla veteran and reasonably experienced homebrewer. Has anyone out there got a Brewzilla 65 and experienced this same problem?
The problem being when coming up to the boil/hot break the levels rise and fall by over 1 to 2 inches (that's 25 to 50mm for you cheeky young kids) and continue to do so for the whole of the rolling boil, my concern is that there may be a possibility of a dry boil beneath the false bottom and damaging the machine or products flavour, my BZ 35l does this but only for a few minutes after the hot break. I would be interested to know if anyone has this problem and how they overcame it

I am not sure I understand the problem.
Help me out.

The level rise is because of the foaming / bubbling. My BM20 does it. Couple of inches like yours, but I think your are describing waves?

Gravity keeps the foam on top and the beer at the bottom, keeping your element wet (in the beer)

Is this a problem which is affecting flavour and/the element. Are you getting a Maillard reaction. Or is it something you think might have an effect?

Is there any evidence or signs of this when to clean the element?

How many brews have you done?

Just thought...
the brewzilla from memory had low density elements, so this minimises the chance of product being affected.

Second one... Presumably the false bottom come out? Next time try it without. I wonder if its acting a bit like a milksaver (in your granny's pan*) and creating a wave.

Finally.... Try with & without the FB in just water, you might be able to see what is going on.

Can you hear thefb moving about?

*I have a feeling we both remember that and work in inches 👍👍😁

It isn't foaming or bubbles rising or falling, that really wouldn't concern me too much, it is the whole liquid level rising and falling. I think you could be right on a ' milk saver' effect as it seems to me that the steam or bubbles created by boiling seem to get temporarily trapped below the false bottom and I have hesitated on trying it without a FB as its top surface collects quite a lot of protein residue . Yes the elements are low density. Although I have heard of the maillard effect not really sure what it is and so far end product has always tasted the same. I have only done 2 brews with the 65l but have done 50+ with brewzilla 35s. I haven't noticed anything unusual on the clean up just a little concerned as have to watch over the whole of the boil just incase the situation develops

I think it is the surge of the milk saver effect. I would keep a watching eye on it, but not worry about it. Unless of course anyone knows better.....

Last edited:
Back