Brewzilla gen 4 malt pipe bottom plate - which way up?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The bottom plate for the Brewzilla gen 4 malt pipe is stepped. Which way up should it go, with the middle being the highest or the lowest?

I'm asking out of academic interest - I've used it both ways and not noticed any difference but they must've designed it that way for a reason

Hadn't spotted a difference, so whatever way it lands.

Middle up would encourage the wort to flow to the edges, through the side holes and down past the heating elements. Middle down would encourage it to fall through the bottom, hit the HED, get pushed to the sides and then down past the heating elements. How much difference 'encourage' makes I've no idea. So as you say, a gnat's do-dah.

@Twostage assuming you have a gen 4, does your HED plate have it's low point at the edges or the centre? Mine has low point at the centre and so I can't see how this is supposed to allow water to get pushed to the sides.

I don't have a problem with temp stability during the mash so it isn't really a problem, but I do fail to see how the design is supposed to work! 🤔

@Twostage assuming you have a gen 4, does your HED plate have it's low point at the edges or the centre? Mine has low point at the centre and so I can't see how this is supposed to allow water to get pushed to the sides.

I don't have a problem with temp stability during the mash so it isn't really a problem, but I do fail to see how the design is supposed to work! 🤔

Yes, G4. I'll have a look later at the HED plate. I suppose if there is no hole in the middle then the edge is the only place the wort can go, are you thinking some will gather there permanently, sort of pooling ?

Yes, temp stability is great now I've got things more or less dialed in. With my last brew I looked at the temp chart near the end of the mash on my laptop while enjoying a coffee back in the living room (love that you can do that) and apart from the spikes around the dough-in, the target, built-in and rapt probe formed a solid line with no visible variation.

Yes, G4. I'll have a look later at the HED plate. I suppose if there is no hole in the middle then the edge is the only place the wort can go, are you thinking some will gather there permanently, sort of pooling ?

Yes, temp stability is great now I've got things more or less dialed in. With my last brew I looked at the temp chart near the end of the mash on my laptop while enjoying a coffee back in the living room (love that you can do that) and apart from the spikes around the dough-in, the target, built-in and rapt probe formed a solid line with no visible variation.

I've just had another look at mine, and I've "popped" it back into the other orientation.

Hard to tell from the pics but previously it was an upturned lid with the centre point down:

IMG_20240301_091140.jpg

Being a fairly thick sheet of metal though, with a little force I've now popped it backwards so it's a downturned lid with the edges sitting flat and the centre point raised. I guess this is how it's supposed to be.
IMG_20240301_091156_1.jpg

EDIT: NOPE!! Scratch that, it doesn't sit properly that way. I guess you are correct that it is just relying on pushing out that way as there is only a small escape in the centre.

Last edited:
Had a look at mine earlier, took a picture but it turned out to be one of those pictures where you think its got it so you move your hand and it was still faffing about so created a work of art.

Anyway, slight dishing as you said. Useful trip to the brewshed, though, as while I was looking at it edge on I spotted a few bits of hop stuck to it on the inside so I disassembled it and gave it a wipe with Chemsan.

Latest posts

Back