Bridestone Duir Quert Brewday 12/04/2010 Now With Photos

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BarnsleyBrewer said:
How's it going uncle? :hmm:
BB

Its going well so far John, I am using the new igloo Mashtun, today (had one small hiccup :D first thing will post pictures later)

I am also controlling the HLT with my PID system and monitoring the mash temp, all is good so far have dropped .1 of a deg in 35 mins, I did overshoot the mash temp by 1 deg though, but thought what the heck mash it at 67.

UP

Hope it's going well UP, looking forward to the photo's!
:cheers:

You're lucky with the kids' school being open .... my two are with me today! :|

corby_brewer said:
Any update yet Shane?

I am just about 1/2 way through the sparge mash was on for about 2 1/4 hours as there was a bloody big queue in the hairdressers, & I got collard by an old friend in morrisons, my ears are much lower now.

Temp dropped to 64.8 Deg C, so I am pretty happy with the new tun.

Just got to move out to the garage now, as boil will still be going on when kids get back home.

UP

All done dusted and put to bed, gave the last hop addition a nice 20min steep at 80 deg, then chilled hardly any cold break out of copper and the brew has a lovely colour.

Here are the Photos
I had a bit of a Hiccup first thing, I filled the lid of my new IGLOO cooler with expanding foam last night, and it has spewed half the contents out, the problem was inside the lid it had not set :cry:
It seems to work ok though and holds temp very well, certainly better than the old tun.
1Catastrophe.jpg

New setup today
2newsetup.jpg

The Grain Bill
3grainBill.jpg

The Mash Gypsum added with the grains
4themash.jpg

Start Mash Temp
5STARTMASHTEMP.jpg

The electrics on the control system
6electrics.jpg

First Runnings
7-firstrunnings.jpg

The Sparge
8sparging.jpg

The Hops weighed out with salt additions
9thehops.jpg

First Wort Hops waiting for green wort
10-First-Wort-Hops.jpg

The PreBoil
11preboil.jpg

Rolling Boil
12rollingBoil.jpg

I missed photographing the protofloc adding the cooler etc and the 10 min hop addition.
Steeping hops at 80deg C after the boil for 20 Mins
13steephops.jpg

Getting plenty of oxygen in the wort by running off from the copper at height.
14oyxgenatewort.jpg

A 400G Jar of lovely thick yeast Skimmed from the top of Last weeks IPA
15yeast.jpg

Yeast Pitched
16yeastpitched.jpg

Filth in the bottom of the copper Hops and Cold break
17filth.jpg

The Cold Break
18coldbreak.jpg

Original Gravity 1048 ish
19originalgravity.jpg

UP

Looks like its gonna be a good one. ive been looking at those eskimos, very flashy.
just a quick question about your boiler. i use the same one and was wondering A- where did you get the hopstrainer and was it hard to attach? and B- how do you overcome the fact that the tap is a good inch or two above the bottom of the boiler? i found it very hard to strain after the boil and not disturb the hopbed too much and lost quite a bit due to the height of the tap.

Please correct me if I'm wrong UP, but your OG from your pic looks more like 1052.
Don't know what the temp was though.

ericstd said:
Please correct me if I'm wrong UP, but your OG from your pic looks more like 1052.
Don't know what the temp was though.

I actually got it just a shade under 1050 hence the 1048ish, the wort was at 20deg C and the hydrometer hasn't fully settled in the photo as I'd just moved the glass to the window, you can see a ripple in the photo.

Looks like its gonna be a good one. ive been looking at those eskimos, very flashy.
just a quick question about your boiler. i use the same one and was wondering A- where did you get the hopstrainer and was it hard to attach? and B- how do you overcome the fact that the tap is a good inch or two above the bottom of the boiler? i found it very hard to strain after the boil and not disturb the hopbed too much and lost quite a bit due to the height of the ta

I got my hop strainer from the HBS in stockport, but you should be able to get one on the net
a quick search on the net gave me This

UP

unclepumble said:
I actually got it just a shade under 1050 hence the 1048ish, the wort was at 20deg C and the hydrometer hasn't fully settled in the photo as I'd just moved the glass to the window, you can see a ripple in the photo.
Thanks UP,I was begining to think I'd got it wrong all these years! :D

unclepumble said:
I forgot to add The name is after the celtic for two sacred Druidic Trees
Duir - The OAK and Quert-Apple
Therefore it translates to Bridestone Oak Apple
UP

I spent 30 minutes on google trying to work out what it was yesterday!

great post and great name :cheers:

the colour looks great I must try some of that munich malt - looks like a winner :clap:

This one looks good...
I've got a couple of questions about your set-up
Are you using 2 boilers? One to heat the mash/sparge water and one to collect the wort? Or do you collect the wort in another vessel and then transfer to the boiler at the end?

I've just bought one of those igloo collers, but a 10 gal one ;) how have you converted it?
I've seen some go for a false bottom or build a copper manifold or use the steel mesh from a flexi connector. Any preference?

rabbie said:
This one looks good...
I've got a couple of questions about your set-up
Are you using 2 boilers? One to heat the mash/sparge water and one to collect the wort? Or do you collect the wort in another vessel and then transfer to the boiler at the end?

I've just bought one of those igloo collers, but a 10 gal one ;) how have you converted it?
I've seen some go for a false bottom or build a copper manifold or use the steel mesh from a flexi connector. Any preference?

I only use one boiler, I transfer to a Fermenting bucket until the Boiler is about 1/3rd full, then empty this and fill it with the collected wort in the fermenting bucket.

This is not considered best practise as there are fears of hot side areation (I personnally think this is a myth though, but I am sure there are plenty who will tell me different,there are two trains of thought).

All I did was fit a 15mm bulkhead a 15mm ball valve and an elbow, then I made a copper manifold for the bottom, with slots, I have used a s/s mesh from a flexi connector, and it worked well at first but then started to give me problems with stuck mashes, so copper manifold would be better, or even better still PM muddydisco, and he will make you a lovely s/s false bottom that wil be bonza. I Have one of these in my 150ltr brewery.

UP

That sounds like what I'll have to do, but I just collect all the wort in an FV and then siphon over to the boiler once it's empty...

When you say a 15mm bulkhead do you need any particular fitting or just something to act as a backnut/connection to the manifold? :wha: Had a quick look on google and there are a few pics showing a special connector to take care of the wall thickness.

I just saw that thread with the false bottoms...I'll have to have a word and hope I don't get hammered with postage though!

rabbie said:
That sounds like what I'll have to do, but I just collect all the wort in an FV and then siphon over to the boiler once it's empty...

When you say a 15mm bulkhead do you need any particular fitting or just something to act as a backnut/connection to the manifold? :wha: Had a quick look on google and there are a few pics showing a special connector to take care of the wall thickness.

I just saw that thread with the false bottoms...I'll have to have a word and hope I don't get hammered with postage though!

Just go into a local plumbers merchants, and ask for a 15mm tank connector/bulkhead, they will know what you are after.and they are very cheap.

I've had a look see this morning and this brew had a lovely thick crust of yeast on the top,

yeast-crust.jpg

therefore I have skimmed another 400G jar of yeast and a little wort off the top of it & put the jar in the fridge ready for next weeks brew. I had a cheeky sample of the wort whilst at it and this is promising to be a cracker. :drink:

UP

Up

This one has finished out at sg1010 so 5.2% ABV,

I had a cheeky 1/2 when transfering, & its bloody lovely the styrians really shine, this is going to be a painful 4 week wait

UP

Latest posts

Back