Bridestone Experimental IPA no1 now with Photos

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see you reduceded the pacific gem a little, loads of fuggles though :clap: What will the different mash temps do to affect the brew - i`ve seen a few recipes with it in :wha:

Sounds like a great brew - good luck with it :thumb:

rickthebrew said:
I see you reduceded the pacific gem a little, loads of fuggles though :clap: What will the different mash temps do to affect the brew - i`ve seen a few recipes with it in :wha:

Sounds like a great brew - good luck with it :thumb:

Loads of fuggles in this one, wort is very bitter, but I think it should be a good one, had a few problems, lost loads of temp in the mash, so somehow dropped to mid 50's so did a semi decoction ran some runnings off boiled and added back to get 66deg and mashed for another 1hr,
Got a stuck mash 1/2 way through sparge, so had to empty out and replace the strainer, knightmare.

but all went well from then on, bar camera batteries going flat.

I ran some of the 1st runnings into a pan and boiled down reducing about 15-20% to give some caramel effect.

the 52 deg strike temp is a psuedo protein rest, not long enough for a full protein rest but should bring something good to the party.

Here are the pictures

The Grainbill
Grainbill-1.jpg

The Hops
HOPS.jpg

The Mash
themash.jpg

mashed in at 52deg
with a very stiff mash, then added more hot water @ 80 and mixed till hit 65.5 no more room in tun for more liquid.

Start Mash Temp
startmashtemp.jpg

Plenty of grain in a small coolbox, means hard work hitting correct temp but was happy with half deg under,, checked after 90 mins and temp had dropped to 55deg, so I screwed up somewhere, therefore ran 4 ltrs off into a pan and boiled, then added back mixed and hit 66 deg again, left to rest for a further 1 hour.

Much happier with result now

End mash temp
mashendtemp.jpg

.2 od a deg lost after 1hr

I then ran off another 3 ltrs and boiled until reduced by 20% to caramelise.

caramalise-wort.jpg

First Runnings
firstruns.jpg

Rolling Boil
Rolling-Boil.jpg

Pacific Gem in 60mins
pg60mins.jpg

Lorry loads of fuggle at 30 mins
80gfuggles30mins.jpg

Camera Battery ran out so no piccies for a bit

Oxygenating wort
oxygenatingwort.jpg

The Cold Break
coldbreak-1.jpg

OG 1070 pretty good
OG1070.jpg

Filth
filth-1.jpg

Yeast Pitched
yeastpitched-1.jpg

UP

up

nice pics thanks for posting them. hope it turns out great. OG 1070.. :grin:

Today I put in a cask to condition for some considerable time.

stopped at 1010 so 8%ABV,

I put 3/4 of a pint to one side, and had a sip, WOW this is going to have to be put out of my reach, and also my neighbour's cos once he had hold of the glass I never saw the contents again, "Very Nice can I have another" was his request.
"Go away in short jerky movements and don't darken my door for another six months" was my reply.

UP

Back