Brown Porter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm wanting to make a fairly traditional style Porter trying out the S-04 yeast I have. How is this?

19.9 Liters

3.52 kg Maris Otter
227 g brown malt
227 g black patent
227 g carafoam
113 g light DME
35.4 g EKG @ 70 mins
21.3 g EKG @ 14 mins
S-04

1.051/1.013
5% ABV
32 IBUs
25 SRM

Less black malt, maybe 50-75g just for a bit of colour? Some chocolate malt? Definitely would use medium/dark crystal malt. Would lose the carafoam & DME. Don't think EKG is right for a porter, more of a Fuggles sort of drink in my opinion. Also, I wouldn't use late hops of any kind. Otherwise, I think it's a great recipe.

Well, you did ask :tongue:

Didn't even notice you didnt have any choccy malt (they wont be calling me on HBing master chef any time soon :lol:). Doing that, you're making a 'historic' brown porter. I agree with rob, I'd deffo have some in there. Where I disagee with rob is I'd still have late additions. Late additions for a porter but none for a stout

Yeah'd also go down the crystal and chocolate route instead of cara and black. I did the Graham Wheeler brown porter last year and it turned out really well (its got brown malt, crystal and chocolate in it).

Less black malt, maybe 50-75g just for a bit of colour? Some chocolate malt? Definitely would use medium/dark crystal malt. Would lose the carafoam & DME. Don't think EKG is right for a porter, more of a Fuggles sort of drink in my opinion. Also, I wouldn't use late hops of any kind. Otherwise, I think it's a great recipe.

Well, you did ask :tongue:

Indeed I did ask. I don't want mercy but truth. Thanks!

I'm questioning the recipe I found long ago but can't find now. I did come across a recipe drew up that's a partial mash, which is odd as I haven't done one of those in a very long time.

Maybe I have the type of Porter confused too.

I think I'll look around at various Porter recipes.

Quite frankly I've mostly drank various stouts and greatly enjoy them. I've only had a handful of porters and those have been hit or miss with ones adding vanilla rather low on the list. I'm really not sure what style of porters I've had as they typically don't say.

So I'm still at a complete loss for where that recipe came from and doesn't resemble anything I looked at.

I found commercial porters I know I liked which were all a robust Porter. But reading a bit on a brown Porter sounds like what I'd like to try first.

In a recipe I found it showed 227 g of chocolate. It seems when I've used close to that amount it added more of a roasty character and not chocolate.

Oh, I forgot to comment on the carafoam and DME. I often have poor head retention for some reason and will use that, flaked barley, or wheat. And the DME is my yeast starter.

I fought down the urge to switch to a robust Porter and altered my original recipe to this:

2.95 kg Maris Otter
454 g brown malt
454 g crystal 50/60
227 g chocolate
227 g carafoam
113 g DME
35.4 g Fuggles @ 70
21.3 g Fuggles @ 14
S-04

I fought down the urge to switch to a robust Porter and altered my original recipe to this:

2.95 kg Maris Otter
454 g brown malt
454 g crystal 50/60
227 g chocolate
227 g carafoam
113 g DME
35.4 g Fuggles @ 70
21.3 g Fuggles @ 14
S-04

That looks more like a porter recipe to me, anyway. :thumb:

That looks more like a porter recipe to me, anyway. :thumb:

I'm trying to shoehorn in an additional beer and have Briess chocolate (350* Lovibond). Not British, but then neither is the DME.

Would a pale or darker chocolate be used?

Anything you'd change? It seems some are calling for no late addition hops. If I were to do that I'd need to switch to a higher AA hop so as to get all of my bittering from 1 ounce (~28 g). Maybe move it to 7 mins?

I'm trying to shoehorn in an additional beer and have Briess chocolate (350* Lovibond). Not British, but then neither is the DME.

Would a pale or darker chocolate be used?

Anything you'd change? It seems some are calling for no late addition hops. If I were to do that I'd need to switch to a higher AA hop so as to get all of my bittering from 1 ounce (~28 g). Maybe move it to 7 mins?

As far as I know, 57g of a hop variety boiled for 70 mins would give you more bitterness than 35g for 70 and 22g for 10 so I'm afraid I don't understand your question. At any rate, MyQul knows more about porter than me and he says he'd use late additions so I'd take his advice if I were you (I will in future :) ).

As far as which chocolate malt, use the one you have. I think the difference between them is supposed to be more cosmetic than taste.

At any rate, MyQul knows more about porter than me and he says he'd use late additions so I'd take his advice if I were you (I will in future :) ).

As far as which chocolate malt, use the one you have. I think the difference between them is supposed to be more cosmetic than taste.

Dunno about that. I'm just going by what I've read and the reciepes I've followed. I made a Caladonian Brown Porter from BRYOBRA today which only has a 60 min addtion. You can of course do what you like.

@Rodwha, Chocolate malt is called that more becasue of the colour of it rather than the taste (although of course it does give a chocolate-like flavour). I'm not sure theres a paricularly British chocolate malt as all chocolate malt is simply highly roasted barley malt. Wether British highly roasted barley would be any different from American highly roasted barley, I'm not sure. But at a guess as it's roasted so highly, probably not, even thought base malts would taste different if brewed with prior to roasting.
Different levels (paler/darker) of choccy do, from what I've read, make a difference to taste but most of the reciepes I've seen just state 'chocolate malt' with some stating pale chocolate, so I wouldn't go for anything other than 'chocolate malt', unless you particularly want to

As far as I know, 57g of a hop variety boiled for 70 mins would give you more bitterness than 35g for 70 and 22g for 10 so I'm afraid I don't understand your question. At any rate, MyQul knows more about porter than me and he says he'd use late additions so I'd take his advice if I were you (I will in future :) ).

Maybe we aren't on the same level here.

Latest posts

Back