Budgie Brewday.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Budgie

Regular.
Reaction score
I was planning on brewing on Friday, but you know, life. So today finally got round the Munich Helles from Greg Hughes’ book. Managed to get my water profile pretty close the the one suggested on Braukaiser. I used Lidl bottled water and added 1.2g CaSO4 and 2.6g CaCl2 to the mash and another 2g CaSO4 to the sparge water. (Very nearly added CaCl2 by accident).

Target SG was 1.049, I was at 1.046 pre boil and came out with 1.054 into the fermenter which I was pretty happy with till I realised I only had 20 litres. I could have topped up with another 2 litres to get closer to target gravity but thought about that too late.

I realised 10mins into the boil I hadn’t attached the bazooka filter :doh:so I attached it to the tap and drained through it into the FV. It worked, but not something I’m keen on trying again! Pitched Wyeast 2308 Munich lager at around 15°C and it’s in the fridge at 10°C now.

All in all an enjoyable day, definitely a bit rusty after such a long break, but itching to do more!

So quick update on this. I took a gravity reading after 2 weeks and it was at 1011. The sample tasted amazing! Still early days with this one but definitely promising. It’s now lagering at about 4°C, which is the coldest I can get it, I’ll probably give it another 2 weeks before bottling.

Back