Bulldog, Evil Dog Double IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My last brew was logged like this
Brewed to 23 litre
Og 1068. 26-2-15
Fg 1003. 2-4-15
Primed with 150g brewing sugar as it was going in a king keg and my mate wanted he fizz to last as he didn't have any co2 at the time.
He said he really liked it.

Ok, so after 2 weeks in bottle, I can already say that this will turn out a great beer, still could use another 2 or so weeks of course. Turned out 6,8%

Hi all, first time brewing and started this kit 11 days ago (10/10/15).
23L total.
Methodical with sanitising etc.

Slightly concerned about fermentation as its my first time, so I thought I'd ask for advice.

OG: 1.056

Measured again today (day 11) @ 1.012

Foam etc on top has pretty much cleared at this stage. Hadn't opened FV since closing on day 1, and it's been kept in kitchen pantry at slightly below room temp. I had been using an electric heating element which dropped down via a twin holed bung, wit air lock in other hole. Have seen no activity whatsoever from airlock at any stage. After checking gravity today I've removed the element etc as it wasn't needed and has barely been switched on at all, and now just have a new sanitised bung and air lock, though still no activity. I've checked all seals etc and doesn't seem to leak, I can see air pressure below the lid causing a slight curve.

So my questions:
1. How far along in fermentation process am I, as I'd have thought today's measurement would be close to FG but it's only day 11 and others on here have said its a much longer process for this kit.

2. Should I be concerned with anything such as cleared foam on top of beer, or no air lock activity? Or does all seem normal?

It smells fine for the stage it's at but would appreciate any help. Excuse my ignorance!!

Thanks in advance

Think its a constant 27 rather than 30 not an exact science with a temp sticker and a thermometer held against the fv with an elestic band lol ,cornys? Had mine about 5 years IMO a lot more hard work than a kingkeg,I never gas more than 30 to start with as you will get a glass of foam you can always shake it down before leaving it to stand but I don't bother with doing that very often unless I'm in a hurry to drink some out of it which is rare as I run two kingkegs with it

I would think it would benifit from a lower temp, I did mine 3 weeks room temp about 20/21 did during early Sept.

No way is this going to be ready to drink after 2 short weeks in bottle, as a general rule of thumb which I came across on this and other forums 2+2+2 (two weeks ferment, 2 weeks carbing, 2 weeks conditioning) on top of that with this being such a strong beer another few weeks on top of that for good measure, someone once mentioned to me 1 week per % of alcohol, so you'd be looking at 8 weeks or so conditioning. I popped a bottle last weekend a month in bottle, was OK, great head, very clear, good hop aroma and flavour but I think needs some more time.

Mine are stashed for consumption this christmas, I did the RedCat earlier in the year and that too being strong needed more time to condition, it was really only coming into its own when I was nearly done them all.

Good brew though at first taste :drink:

Hi all, first time brewing and started this kit 11 days ago (10/10/15).
23L total.
Methodical with sanitising etc.

Slightly concerned about fermentation as its my first time, so I thought I'd ask for advice.

OG: 1.056

Measured again today (day 11) @ 1.012

Foam etc on top has pretty much cleared at this stage. Hadn't opened FV since closing on day 1, and it's been kept in kitchen pantry at slightly below room temp. I had been using an electric heating element which dropped down via a twin holed bung, wit air lock in other hole. Have seen no activity whatsoever from airlock at any stage. After checking gravity today I've removed the element etc as it wasn't needed and has barely been switched on at all, and now just have a new sanitised bung and air lock, though still no activity. I've checked all seals etc and doesn't seem to leak, I can see air pressure below the lid causing a slight curve.

So my questions:
1. How far along in fermentation process am I, as I'd have thought today's measurement would be close to FG but it's only day 11 and others on here have said its a much longer process for this kit.

2. Should I be concerned with anything such as cleared foam on top of beer, or no air lock activity? Or does all seem normal?

It smells fine for the stage it's at but would appreciate any help. Excuse my ignorance!!

Thanks in advance
First, all is well I suspect. :thumb:
Then, my answers to your questions...

1. 'It's finished when it's finished.' However if it's clearing and the surface is mostly devoid of any signs of activity then it's probably done. But the best way of finding out is to use your hydrometer. Check daily from now on. Two identical readings on consecutive days pretty much means it's done. However even then it won't do it any harm to leave it for 14 days in the FV (or even longer).
2. FV lids do not seal particularly well (mine certainly don't) so CO2 can bypass the airlock. So airlocks are not a good indication of fermentation, unless you seal the lid properly (I use cling film which seems to work).

on day 8 with this kit now,the airlock is slowly slowing down around10 plops a minute,gonna take a first peek at it tomorrow and a hydrometer reading and maybe add the hops,tempeture wise its a pretty constant 23.5 after an initial 27ish.still cant see it going more than 11 or 12 days :|

day 9 plopping at 96 seconds for 10 plops,took first gravity reading at 4pm today and is 1010,put lid back on and its plopping at twice the rate as this morning,gonna hold off the hops for today,had a taste of the hydrometer specimen...rocket fuel springs to mind :party:

How much sugar have you guys added to each bottle to carbonate? How long did it take to get enough CO2? Does the beer/yeast stop producing CO2 while storing at low temperatures?

I used 180g dextrose batch primed in secondary. Keep warm for minimum two weeks then you can reduce temp.

damn.took a gravity reading tonight its around 1007 then dropped the hydrometer where upon its smashed :oops: anyway its day10 and ive just added the hop bags,still plopping along steadily,will have to source a new hydrometer tomorrow :-x

3,5 weeks in bottle, excellent beer, feels almost like it gets better each day. The hops are starting to come out

Right then guys. Brewed my evil dog last Saturday I added before reading this thread 1 kilo of young's Dme.
Gave me a starting gravity of 1.074 thought great really strong.
Fermenting vessel in the living room at 24*c bit of a leak through the lid (never use air locks as lids don't always seal) leaving to ferment away for at least 10 days.
The advice I'm after is I would like to get the cascading effect of a Guinness pint. I have a kegerator(home made) with stout pulls on. I have both co2 and nit/co2 mixed gas. I was wondering what forced carb level I should be trying to reach and the dispensing psi on the nit/co2 mixed gas. Thanks craig.

Had mine kegged in corny for 3 weeks now and around 4 bottled which I couldn't get in the corny.I may crack one tonight,just for inspection and quality control you must understand ha

Hi . Just joined this forum (hello all) as I felt I had to add a bit of my own experience after doing a search on this beer - to check if my 1yr old EvilDog brew may have suffered after sitting in its KingKeg through the 3 seasons in a leanto conservatory (out of direct sunlight of course, keg topped with a now well-patina'd newspaper).

Must admit, I only recently started tucking into the last 15 or so pints to clear the barrrel for another stint of HB. I thought it would taste c*** and only be fit for the sink, but since leaving it alone last December, mostly due to its properly hefty kick, it now tastes superb. Retained nice carbonation, clear as a bell and the taste has sublimed into a totally beguiling mellow hoppy hit of IPA. Still has the same (if not increased) hefty-kick tho'

Very nice brew and surprisingly long-lasting in my experience

Think so mine bottled 20 Sept. Have had a few after 8 weeks but keeping rest mainly for Xmas. What I've had though been very good

Yes, I know, its a heck of a long time to have a barrel occupied, seemingly doing nothing but taking up space. The brew was way too 'chewy' over the 1st few weeks of drinking, so left it alone and totally impressed by the way it kept for so long (and more impressed by the way its improved)

this has been in the cornie now since 30th October and nightly I have been tucking in to a small glass around 100ml maybe a tad more,its a fantastic brew and I cant see it hanging around until the new year anyway heres my small glass full
Would I brew it again? You bet I would,would I reccomend it? If you like AIPA certainly,mks out if ten?easily a full 9

IMG_20151208_232915686[1].jpg

Latest posts

Back