Burco boiler

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Booth

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi All,

I’ve acquired a Burco 30l boiler mainly for brew in a bag brewing anyone got any tips?

thanks

I isolated the thermostat so I could get a full rolling boil, for the mash I control the input voltage.

Is it one of the old one's where the element is exposed? If so you're going to need to get something to keep the mash well clear of the element otherwise it'll overheat and cut out. I used to get that all the time when I boiled with hops with seeds,l eg, fuggles, the seeds would clog the element and I couldn't get a boil. Moving over to gas was the best thing I ever did. My old Burcos are now retired, but my new Burco /Cygnet is now on hot liquor tank duties,

No it’s a new one with the false bottom I’m doing biab anyway I’ve got a tripod to hold the bag whilst mashing and boiling

Mine is a new one stainless steel I was going to get a Peco bin but the Burco was cheaper by £40 I guess it’s a case of get a brew done which I will do this week and then report back on this thread.

From my experience the grain basket is an absolute necessity. But in my opinion you can get away with plugging some tubing on the tap with a metal restrainer of some sort can't remember the name of it rn. This imo would do for sparging. Something else not mentioned here which imo is also a necessity even if going to gas. Get yourself a hop screen or two. Easily found on Amazon. Excellent for the final boil. As for what Ank said, I have to agree, I wish I had gone the whole hog now. But we live and learn =)

How's that Watney's Starlight coming on Ank? xD I am gonna do the stout in a month and bump it with some DME and perhaps modify the grain bill to get the body and abv up to modern standards =)

As for the peco boiler, that's just a cheap ass burco. Nice to start with as some say for learning AG/BIAB. Really there is no lesson in the so-called step up from a peco to burco. They are both a waste of money in the long run. Better off as Ank said and going with the gas option and straight to it. Oh there was something else not mentioned here either. If no Grain screen, use a pizza tray or two to hold the weight for sparging. It may seem odd but beats the **** out of a sieve for short term sparging use. =)

Latest posts

Back