Burner For 70l Stock Pot

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurch

Reaction score
Can anyone suggest a suitable burner for a 70l 'Nordic' style cook pot?
I was going to use electric but I'm leaning towards gas for the boiler so I can whack it up high to get to the boil and then back off for the 90mins. I'm thinking I'll lose less through evapouration too.

i'm changing to gas and used a large Tripod burner from Hamilton Gas products. I've got a 100l Stock pot on order but used it last week with my keg, it took about 25 mins to get to temp (50 deg to boil), there is a possibility I might need a larger one for 80L of wort, but I think it is ample for 50 / 60L, I Think Aleman uses gas he might be able to shed a more scientific light onto the subject.

Is the burner stable enough do you think?
I'm assuming the 480mm refers to the diameter and the 180mm the overall height which should make it plenty stable enough being as that makes it wider than the pot I plan to put on it!
I'm just wondering if the square version they do might be a more stable option.

It is possible to take the legs off of the Tripod burner and turn them over giving a wider base on the floor and a narrower base for the pot . . . which works well with kegs. . . . IIRC a 100L pot is 50cm in diameter the 70L will be a bit smaller.

The Square Fokker burner is 350mm square (Duh!)

Actually I was just thinking about getting burner with a FFD. I'll be boiling in the garage and fitting a hi-flow extractor fan so I reckon it might be a good idea to have one.
The square should have a diagonal of 49cm then and the pot is 45cm diameter so that should be bob on.

Aleman said:
It is possible to take the legs off of the Tripod burner and turn them over giving a wider base on the floor and a narrower base for the pot . . . which works well with kegs.
Yep, the legs are secured with 2 bolts each, and as you said can be turned either way around. You can have the larger diameter on the floor or on the pot. Just measured the ring and you get a diameter of 360mm or 420mm approx.
I had mine set up - temporary just sat on a paving stone and the keg sat directly on top, this was very stable. I plan to build the stand into a MS Box platform and add a wind shroud.

How about the burners the road guys use for heating pitch!!, can't be too expensive from a builders merchant.

Latest posts

Back