Buying a boiler

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's annoying, they dont seem to have that one now. Cheapest 30L is that £120 one, which is also listed as a second. I'd rather go for the burco one off amazon for £80 new

Geterbrewed have two

http://www.geterbrewed.com/peco-boilers-mashing-bins/

one is 47.50 and one is 98.50

Both 32 litre but the 47.50 is down as a boiler only whereas the 98.50 seems to have much better and more accurate temp control..

Could you mash in the cheaper one (but have to keep an eye on it more) or is the more expensive one just a smarter device for mashing and sparging precisely?

I know people advise make your own ect but I am not sure about that myself and 47.50 doesn't look too bad. I just wondered whether having more temp control is probably worth the extra dosh if you was going to mash in there and boil. (BIAB)

Tbh making it isn't an option, I just won't find the time or inclination and would rather throw money at the problem. My small pot dilemma has got me thinking about this more over the past few days and I'm seriously considering treating myself. One advantage to having a boiler is that I could brew outdoors which would get brownie points with the good lady. The burco ones seem good for biab. I don't really want loads of big kit so biab seems the best way, one pot does the lot!

Tbh making it isn't an option, I just won't find the time or inclination and would rather throw money at the problem. My small pot dilemma has got me thinking about this more over the past few days and I'm seriously considering treating myself. One advantage to having a boiler is that I could brew outdoors which would get brownie points with the good lady. The burco ones seem good for biab. I don't really want loads of big kit so biab seems the best way, one pot does the lot!

I kind of like the look of teh starter kit you posted although i would just go for the upgrade

http://www.geterbrewed.com/basic-biab-starter-kit-kit-brewers-upgrade/

gets you the boiler a cooler and a false bottom and even a bag to fit :cheers:

Since you already done extract you probably have a digital thermometer ?

The only thing I think you'd need to do is consider insulating it with some bubble foil wrap.

Thanks cov, saw that after my post and did toy with the idea. Not sure how accurate the temp control is on that one though? Presumably as its intended for mashing and boiling it has settings to get those temps. The fact you get the chiller is tempting, as while I could probably make one I'm not that enthusiastic. I have a slight snobby reluctance to get a cheap plastic boiler though...someone earlier on the thread mentioned lots of people use them. Anyone got this one to give it a thumbs up?

Too many decisions...I blame clibit for making me buy grains THEN realise I really needed better kit to go with. DAMN YOU CLIBIT!

Thanks cov, saw that after my post and did toy with the idea. Not sure how accurate the temp control is on that one though? Presumably as its intended for mashing and boiling it has settings to get those temps. The fact you get the chiller is tempting, as while I could probably make one I'm not that enthusiastic. I have a slight snobby reluctance to get a cheap plastic boiler though...someone earlier on the thread mentioned lots of people use them. Anyone got this one to give it a thumbs up?

Too many decisions...I blame clibit for making me buy grains THEN realise I really needed better kit to go with. DAMN YOU CLIBIT!

Did you have a look at the Igenix one on the ebay link? An offer of £40 seems fair!

Yeah, def tempting too...that's what I mean by too many options! I'd rather have a tasty metal boiler like that one, but then need to sort other stuff like chiller. But being a lazy **** the peco option is tempting as you're up and running in one order. No idea what do do for the best really.

That Urn does look good

Genuine question apart from being a nicer piece of kit is there any particular reason why you shouldn't use a plastic boiler or a metal one is better? I am sure there are some legit reasons.

That Urn does look good

Genuine question apart from being a nicer piece of kit is there any particular reason why you shouldn't use a plastic boiler or a metal one is better? I am sure there are some legit reasons.

Just a personal reason from me - I don't like the idea of a 90 minute rolling boil in a plastic bucket at head height (I use a gravity-fed 3 tier system). I also use gas, so there's another obvious one! I also think that metal ones are easier to clean with less chance of scratching etc.

As I said though, just guess it's down to personal preference.

Yeah, def tempting too...that's what I mean by too many options! I'd rather have a tasty metal boiler like that one, but then need to sort other stuff like chiller. But being a lazy **** the peco option is tempting as you're up and running in one order. No idea what do do for the best really.

Immersion chillers are pretty easy to make, and certainly cheaper than most I've seen on fleabay. I made a counterflow, and even that worked out at less than £50. I found it quite satisfying too, but maybe I'm just odd.

I'm going to call geterbrewed and ask about temp control. Suspect there isn't one and you just stop it at the right point and adjust. I guess if I can get the metal one for £40 it's probably a better idea and I can make the chiller at a push. Don't want to pay £50 for one. You can get 10m of 10mm copper for a little over £20. Do you need much in the way of tools to do it?

Latest posts

Back