Help with equipment purchase please.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope. None whatsoever.

I believe people should be free to pick whatever kit they want without judgement.

I'm leaving this thread now as I have no interest in getting into a prolonged argument.

@Chippy_Tea - feel free to come in and tidy any of this up to keep the thread on track.
Hi chippy, my pleasure at your kind invitation. I am well aware there are some on any internet forum who get a little more agitated than they might under real-life face-to-face circumstances but let's look at this; the thread was opened with a question asking for views/opinions/advice etc on equipment. I stated from the outset that I expected to be a lone voice, having done this for so many years before anything like a GF was even thought of. I don't know why Stu chose to take it so personally and really end up being quite unnecessarily rude. I never stated nor suggested that people are not free to choose their own kit and cannot understand why Stu chose to believe that I had said such. I just asnswered the original poster's question. To say one has to 'dumb it down' is beyond the pale (ale). My guess is from the outset I was deemed 'disparaging' by him for daring to air my suggestions honestly expressed from nearly 50 years experience. It occurs to me that I am wasting my time here; it is perhaps a mirror of the modern world that, like most subjects, for many there is room only for one view and if you depart from that, the knives are out. It does seem to have been such an over the top reaction to something stemming from experience; maybe there is now a need for a manual of what is/is not acceptable opinion? There are so many other examples of this out there, sadly.

@Chippy_Tea - feel free to come in and tidy any of this up to keep the thread on track.

@Stu's Brews There isn't much point now as its gone on too long, can i again ask members to report anything they are not happy with and the mods will discuss it and act on it ASAP.

Last edited:
I'm not really sure why we even needed to go there to be honest.
Maybe the gloomy miserable weather has put us all in a bad mood
Not all of us. I'm relaxed and chipper 😁. Some people <cough antipodean cough> just like an argument 🤷‍♂️

You appeared to request some sort of input? My error it seems.

For other members who may not know this handy tip (as seen below) if you post @ then the members username they will receive an immediate alert similar to a private message alert telling them they have been mentioned in a post.

Stu posted - @Chippy_Tea - feel free to come in and tidy any of this up to keep the thread on track.

I've been wondering if a Peltier aquarium chiller would do the job.
I have 4 peltier water coolers connected in series providing cold water to a cool box. This is controlled by an ink bird.
I then have another ink bird which controls a pump that supplies a chamber with fan radiators (very small) and some tubing wrapped around my fermenting bucket. I have 2 of these chambers so that I can ferment or store primed bottled beers at at preset temperatures.
The average day time temperature where I live is above 35C for 5 months of the year hence the need for a lot of cooling.

I have 4 peltier water coolers connected in series providing cold water to a cool box. This is controlled by an ink bird.
I then have another ink bird which controls a pump that supplies a chamber with fan radiators (very small) and some tubing wrapped around my fermenting bucket. I have 2 of these chambers so that I can ferment or store primed bottled beers at at preset temperatures.
The average day time temperature where I live is above 35C for 5 months of the year hence the need for a lot of cooling.
What coolers are you using?

DC 12V Thermoelectric Cooler Peltier System Semiconductor Refrigeration Water Chiller Cooling Device for Fish Tank(120W) DC 12V Thermoelectric Cooler Peltier System Semiconductor Refrigeration Water Chiller Cooling Device for Fish Tank(120W) : Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
I bought 3 of these from amazon.es in June and they were about half the price. You'll also need a 600w 12v power supply for these and the motors

Do you use all 3? In parallel or series?

Do you use all 3? In parallel or series?
They are connected in series. When the temperature is really high they can lower incoming water by about 6C each.
I started out by having the water leave the cool box, go through the peltiers and directly into the insulated chamber.
This would take a long time to cool anything so I made the cool box it's own cooling device with about 4L of water that could be chilled to 16C (now in winter 5C) and use a second circuit to pump this into the insulated chamber. As the water is already at a low temp the cooling effect is much quicker.

Latest posts

Back