BYO Sierra Nevada Stout Clone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martybhoy

Reaction score
Hi, I'm dying to make this Stout clone (recipe below) which I found on BYO website, but i think they have left out some details regarding sparging and how much water to use and at what temperature. It's meant to be a 19L batch, but they only tell you to mash with 15L, then boil it.

I'm fairly new to all grain, and so far I've only made pre-packed grain kits. This would be my first foray into clone/custom recipes.

Any help with spare details would be much appreciated...

Sierra Nevada Stout Clone:

5 gallons/19 L, all-grain; OG = 1.065 FG = 1.019; IBU = 60 SRM = 40 ABV = 5.8%
Ingredients:

9.0 lbs. (4.1 kg) American pale malt
3.0 lbs. (1.4 kg) Munich malt (10 °L)
1.0 lb. (0.45 kg) American Black Patent malt (500 °L)
0.67 lbs. (0.30 kg) American crystal malt (60 °L)
14 AAU Magnum hops (60 mins) (1.0 oz./28 g of 14% alpha acids)
5.8 AAU Cascade hops (10 mins) (1.0 oz./28 g of 5.75% alpha acids)
2.0 oz. (57 g) Willamette hops (0 min)
Wyeast 1056 (American Ale), White Labs WLP001 (California Ale) or Safale US-05 yeast
1 cup corn sugar (for priming)

Step by Step:
Mash 154 °F (68 °C) for 60 minutes in 16 qts. (15 L) of mash liquor. Boil wort for 60 minutes. Ferment for 7 days at 68 °F (20 °C). Rack to secondary and condition for 14 days at 68 °F (20 °C).

5 Gallons is pretty much 23 litres ?

EDIT: ignore my Gallons comment - just seen others posting about metric and imperial gallons ! I only work in litres so that threw me. Apparently 5 of the right type of gallons is 19litres

Do you do seperate vessel all grain or Brew In A Bag ? What equipment/size of boiler are you using ?

The mash temperature is given, 68C.

They don't give the sparge water quantity as losses vary from person to person. You want a pre boil quantity of about 22 litres , and you will lose about 6 litres to grain absorption. So I would sparge with around 13 litres. (22+6 = 28. 28 -15=13). If you lose wort to dead space, add that on too.

Spapro, I do a separate mash in tun, then boil in 28L Cygnet boiler.

Clibit - thanks. Am I OK to drain wort from the 15L mash, then add the 13L sparge water at approx 77°c? I only say this as this is how have done previous brews.

BTW, I must also thank you for getting me into AG. Your post on trying a micro brew (5Ltr I think) started it all.

Clibit - thanks. Am I OK to drain wort from the 15L mash, then add the 13L sparge water at approx 77°c? I only say this as this is how have done previous brews.

BTW, I must also thank you for getting me into AG. Your post on trying a micro brew (5Ltr I think) started it all.

Yes add the 13 litres after draining the mash. I heat the sparge water to around 80C as this gets the temperature in the tun up to about 76ish. A batch sparge is quick and easy. Leave it about ten minutes and drain again.

It's always good to hear about people jumping into AG via that thread.

Back