Campden tablet dosage

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shd

Reaction score
As my tap water can occasionally have a bit of a naff taste, my plan is to use Campden tablets as from what i understand, either way, using tablets doesn't hurt

My 2 x can kit will make 23 litres of ale, so my plan was to prepare 23 litres (cold) in a separate bucket (cleaned and sterilised of course !) with 1 crushed Campden tablet, leave for an hour, and then use this water for the boil and then top up with to the total amount

Does this sound a sensible/correct approach please ?

TIA

shd

Sounds sensible to me, although I think you only need half a tablet for that volume of water (that's what I add to my water). As I understand it, the Campden tablet helps remove the chlorine out of the tap water which is often blamed for the off-tastes you can get in homebrew - sometimes described as 'homebrew twang'.

I've never been sure if it's that or poor temp control during fermentation which upsets the yeast and causes off-flavours. Regardless, I always treat my water with a Campden tablet because it's easy to do and one less thing to worry about.

Good luck with your kit.

is an hour a sensible amount of time to let the tablet do its work, less, or ideally longer ?
sorry if i appear a little paranoid around my preparation 😨

is an hour a sensible amount of time to let the tablet do its work, less, or ideally longer ?
sorry if i appear a little paranoid around my preparation 😨
For dechlorination, the effect is pretty much instantaneous. Crush the tablet first and give the water a good swirling to ensure the agent has diffused throughout,

I also use 1/2 of Camden tablet always the first job so whist sorting out other things it's standing in the bucket.
Over the last 3 brews I've added Harris pure brew to the fermenter which I understand is yeast nutrient and water treatment seems to work but would need to do a side by side trail to see the difference I've been buying mine along with hops / grain and the like from Balliihoo homebrew via topcashback works for me

Harris Pure Brew - Nutrient And Water Treatment For Beer - Wine And Cider

pure brew crush a tablet and there is a small spoon in the tub of a nutrient mix. stir in the fermenter when adding the yeast is the way I've been adding in it

pure brew instructions and ingredients if it helps
20220909_112816.jpg

pure brew inst.jpg
20220909_112816.jpg

Back