Campden Tablets

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACEKOS

Beer lover!
Reaction score
Hi folks, I have been brewing kits for a couple of years with good results, I’ve always used tap water untreated, the water in Manchester is pretty soft, I’ve just picked up some Campden tablets to treat the water. Is it a worthwhile exercise? Does it make much difference to the taste?

Thanks in advance
Al

I use them 1/2 a tablet to each standard brew length.
I will let the more versed members who are further than me into water treatment expand but it is the first place to start IMO

I use a powdered version with all brews, and then do water treatment, I think if you have good tap water you can make good beer either with or without but it can't hurt!

Normally used just to remove chlorine and chloramine but does has other uses in brewing such as adjusting the water chemistry’s to match a certain profile and combatting oxidation in NEIPA.

You need no other treatment for kits

It’s a wise thing to do if you don’t filter your water.

I’m **** on the water side so somebody will give a technical answer.

Normally used just to remove chlorine and chloramine but does has other uses in brewing such as adjusting the water chemistry’s to match a certain profile and combatting oxidation in NEIPA.

You need no other treatment for kits

It’s a wise thing to do if you don’t filter your water.

I’m **** on the water side so somebody will give a technical answer.
Thanks Lee!

Uk water isn’t that heavily dosed with chlorine/chloramine, so there are many people that don’t use campden tablets or metabisulphite and never notice any issues.

But it’s such a low effort thing to do with no downsides (unless you hugely overdose it), that I think it’s always worth doing.

1 tablet treats up to 100 litres of water, so 1/2 a tablet crushed in your 23 litre litres of water is the normal dosage standard.

Uk water isn’t that heavily dosed with chlorine/chloramine, so there are many people that don’t use campden tablets or metabisulphite and never notice any issues.

But it’s such a low effort thing to do with no downsides (unless you hugely overdose it), that I think it’s always worth doing.

1 tablet treats up to 100 litres of water, so 1/2 a tablet crushed in your 23 litre litres of water is the normal dosage standard.
Thanks Jocky, that’s what I’m thinking.

I always use 1/2 campden tablet in each brew. Goes in from the start. I have always done this. Who knows if it makes a difference but, as said previously, it is such a low cost and low effort process I just do it.

Latest posts

Back