Can a Conservative and DUP pact work?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Utter rubbish, MP's fly daily from NI to London just like the Scottish MP's.

Aware for big votes, but wasn't aware for daily. Saying that a number of mp's don't bother on a daily basis.

Just heard that Kensington went labour :-o

I emailed our then MP Naomi Long (the one I voted out) about her absence from our constituency. I did notice she had gone AWOL on important local issues.

In fairness her secretary wrote back to me straight away but about a week later I got a detailed email which I must dig out which said she was in London 5 days a week.

She gave several reasons why she wasn't seen which TBF the only one that made sense was she was in London. It must be a tricky business for those MP's especially 100+ miles from London spending time in your constituency and spending time where your vote counts. I thought Ms Long had went too far on the London side of things - she wasn't seen or heard locally for months on end. That was one reason I tactically voted against her this time, the other being her party's policies.

Must say I find Naomi to be one of the best speakers of any of the local Parties, not that I agree with her on everything either, but she is a more competent performer in front of the cameras than most.

I just totally disagree with the direction Alliance have taken.

20 years ago I voted Alliance because of their neutral stance, now like many fellow Unionists we see our identity whittled away and the Alliance have been part of that reason.

I've usually voted UUP but this election I voted DUP to keep Alliance out. I suspect many UUP voters were like me and voted for the same reasons.

Found that email and I was wrong about 5 days but I wasn't convinced by her excuses either as she wasn't seen at the time for months nor I knew about her "surgeries"

Dear Mark,
Thank you for your contact via my website, querying my presence in East Belfast since my election.
As is required by the role, I spend on average 3 days per week in London, performing my parliamentary duties on behalf of those who elected me, scrutinising important legislation which will impact on their everyday lives. You may be interested to note that my attendance in Parliament is considerably better than that of the previous MP for the area.
The rest of the week, I am in the constituency, serving the people of East Belfast with the same enthusiasm which I have always shown for the work. I not only am available in my constituency office most Thursdays and Fridays, where I see dozens of people each week, but also run fortnightly surgeries, advertised in advance, at various other locations throughout the constituency in the evenings. Recent surgeries include those in Dundonald Methodist Church, Clonduff Community Centre, Braniel Community Centre, Sydenham Methodist Church, St Mary’s Ballybeen, and Belmont Presbyterian. Further, I undertake fortnightly surveys across the constituency with my colleagues at the weekends, in addition to attending a wide range of community events to which I am invited and undertaking site visits, house calls and a variety of other activities.
If you need to contact me about any issue, as you will see there are numerous ways in which you can do so as I remain committed to being available to constituents who require my assistance. In the meantime, I hope that you are reassured that if you have not seen me of late, it is certainly not as a result of my absence from East Belfast.
Best Regards, Naomi

Last edited:
Must say I find Naomi to be one of the best speakers of any of the local Parties, not that I agree with her on everything either, but she is a more competent performer in front of the cameras than most.

This is really the great problem with politics at the moment worldwide, those that look good, blag well, have the gift of the silver tongue do well. Yet as in business the blagger gets the job, yet are the worst candidate to actually do the job! If you are pretty, handsome or eloquent in your words you will do well irespective of actual ideas or abilities. Example Trump no abilities except manipulate the media. While the quiet wallflower might be holding the world together.

IIRC it was the time when there was a massive riot at the Short Strand interface when I wrote to her because I live locally and was affected by it. It annoyed me that other politicians (from both sides) went to the interface but she didn't even give an interview on the situation, it got me thinking about how many times I had seen her locally which was zero. The only times I seen her was in London, she took herself away from the coalface and went by proxy. Guess I made up my mind on her before she even replied.

Latest posts

Back