Can I buy a magazine on homebrew making?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigcal180

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I was in WH Smiths earlier looking at the 1000s of magazines on the shelf passing time while my wife was shopping. Does anyone know if there is a monthly magazine i can buy regarding making home brew or wine making?

Enjoy your weekend and happy brewing :cheers:

Hi theres an online 'magazine' called yobrew it's quite good and informative and funny as well! Other than that I think all the magazines are either American or produced for members of a particular society. Although if you want you could join a local group and then subscribe I suppose, and get your fix that way :lol:

I recall there used to be a magazine but that was in the 70/80's so probably out of print now. For the life of me I can't remember the name though.

Doesn't the craft brewers association have a publication? Otherwise there are American ones you can subscribe digitally.

Bob the magazine your thinking of was called The Amatuer Wimemaker and Brewer.I still have about 20 somewhere in my loft.

taxidiver said:
With a forum as informative and friendly as this, why do you need a magazine?
I hesitate to answer this, but quite frankly the advice given on this forum (and others), is actually quite poor . . . if not downright wrong, at least with a magazine it does go through some form of peer review before getting onto paper.

The voices of insanity are not posting anywhere near as prolifically as they used to, as they are getting fed up of being shouted down and argued with by 'the vocal minority'

Aleman said:
The voices of insanity are not posting anywhere near as prolifically as they used to, as they are getting fed up of being shouted down and argued with by 'the vocal minority'

I hear where you are coming from Tony but the forum is a poorer place with out the voices of insanity.

P.S. I do worry that I talk complete and utter jibberish at times. :lol: :lol:

Unfortunately if members waited for the postings of " sanity " we would probably get one or two posts a week.

Its a forum of folks who enjoy a common hobby. It caters for all from the beginner to the experienced. As a newbie gains experience he or she may feel like giving some advice out, ok it might not be 100 % accurate but somewhere along the lines it will get corrected...several times probably.

Long live a chatty forum.

To answer the OP's question: the only magazine that I know of is Brew Your Own which has already been mentioned (I think they do a pdf edition these days). I don't think that there are any UK based homebrewing magazines but I could be wrong. While there is good information in there, I wouldn't class Brewer's Contact a magazine personally.It feels more like a newsletter to me but YMMV as ever, to be fair it has been a while since I've seen a copy. For what a magazine costs these days I'm more likely to buy a book.

Aleman said:
taxidiver said:
With a forum as informative and friendly as this, why do you need a magazine?
I hesitate to answer this, but quite frankly the advice given on this forum (and others), is actually quite poor . . . if not downright wrong, at least with a magazine it does go through some form of peer review before getting onto paper.

Since text persists you can't exactly be shouted down AM, I do take your point though... there are some posters that I pay more attention to both here and on other forums. I guess part of the process of becoming part of a community is learning who to listen to. Volume of posts doesn't necessarily equate to value. Maybe we could use some sort of rating system, then again maybe not.In any case, I guess the techy admins are busy bunnies as usual.

Do any of the brewing magazines go through a peer review process? That would be unusual in non-academic publishing so far as I am aware.

TheMumbler said:
TMaybe we could use some sort of rating system, then again maybe not.In any case, I guess the techy admins are busy bunnies as usual.

Actually we have a plan at some point to add a "Thanks" system. It's like that people who give good advice will receive most thanks and therefore be more widely regarded as knowledgeable. :thumb:

Instructions written on kits and or in books might not work as they say they will,
and although sometimes you may receive some far out answers and maybe sometimes post some to,
A forum is about passing on experience and if a book tells you one thing and 20 guys on here tell you different then I'd tend to side with the 20 guys,
I know it doesn't always happen, but I assume for the most part they wouldn't be posting unless they have had some form of experience regarding the topic of the post, and they may not always be trying to advise you but merely sharing their experience which in turn may teach you what NOT to do,
So three cheers for the forum I'd say, it's a brilliant thing with some brilliant guys with a wealth of knowledge, and crazy people need love to.

I'm new to this forum and fairly new (well returning) to homebrew.

Like everything in life, I tend to take everything anyone says on a forum with a pinch of salt.

However, if I ask a straight question like "What does 1 + 1 equal" and someone says "2" and no-one else disagrees, I'll generally take it that "2" is probably correct.

In addition, there are some people on here who make the most extraordinary things that I wouldn't even contemplate making. There's also a lot of really geeky talk (nothing wrong with that btw).

Unfortunately for me, this will always be a transient hobby as my main hobbies are much more encompassing and time consuming.
Not that I won't be enjoying it. In fact, I'm trying to be really patient with my first brew which won't be ready for possibly a month (although I may bottle some off and drink it early just to make sure :cheers: )

It's a very friendly forum though. I haven't come across any real nastiness or trolling yet.

Like Tony I despair at some of the advice given on forums but like to think in most cases other members rectify the situation, sometimes this can lead to big rows, pleased to say I've seen this more on Jim's than here. Having been around these forums for a few years now I have got to know certain names who's advice I respect knowing they probably know the right answer, just as others with a few brews under belt will only have good intentions. But this will always be a craft where this more than one way to skin a cat so even the most experienced may disagree. I also remember the old Amateur winemaker and brewer magazine and also the American one a few years later and to be honest you paid money for a lot of adverts and not a lot of substance. So for the first 20 years of brewing I relied on the several books I bought and guess what they all gave me conflicting advice, some now I can see is SO wrong it's unbelievable. So long live forums, my beer has improved because of them' and we have a bit of fun on the way.

There is an App in the UK appstore for BYO magazine and you can purchase every issue as an in app purchase.

Latest posts

Back