Can someone look at this Brown Ale please?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceejay

Landlord.
Reaction score
Never brewed a Brown Ale before, but I was astonished at how good they can taste, after a pint of Thornbridge's Ashford. I'm going to brew one this weekend, and I'm going for an easy drinking session Brown, with the emphasis on the toasty, chocolatey, coffee/toffee flavours. I'm not a particular fan of Newcastle Brown.

Does this fit the bill?

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/recipeview.php?recipe_id=1117

Thanks!

Simple to answer, yes it does.

For me, I'd up the mash temp a little cos I like a little sweetness in my brown ales but many would say it should be on the dryer side. As you ain't a fan of nukie brown why not try mashing at 67 and drop the mash water to grain to 2.4 l/kg ?

Finally, I'd lower the chocolate down a bit, say 100-125g. Again that's just my taste. You brew what you have there and I have now doubt it will be a fine brown ale. :thumb:

Thanks Neil, some very valid feedback there. I definitely don't want this too dry, so I think you're right - I will push my mash temp up to 67 or even 68. I actually tend to use a 2.3 ratio, so I need to amend that in the recipe.

Do you think the chocolate malt will be too over-pronounced in my recipe? I ewant it to have the biscuity, nutty, coffee stuff in there but I don't want it to be over the top. I'll try lowering it a bit to 125 and use that as a base.

Good to see I'm on the right track though. I must have learned some things! Can't wait to brew this now, it's going to be fun!

craigite said:
As you ain't a fan of nukie brown why not try mashing at 67 and drop the mash water to grain to 2.4 l/kg ?
:

@Craigite. What finishing gravity would you expect at that mash temperature? I've had real trouble with brews finishing too high (17-18) in the past which I put down to a dodgy thermometer that underread by over 2 degrees meaning my mash was 67-68C. I usually use a ratio nearer 2.2:1 but hadn't considered that as a factor? Now I aim for 63-65C and still get finishing gravities around 11-12 from OGs 45-52ish

looks good ceejay i`ve not brewed a brown ale either but like a bit of variety as much as the next man - hope its a good un!

:drink:

pjbiker said:
craigite said:
As you ain't a fan of nukie brown why not try mashing at 67 and drop the mash water to grain to 2.4 l/kg ?
:

@Craigite. What finishing gravity would you expect at that mash temperature? I've had real trouble with brews finishing too high (17-18) in the past which I put down to a dodgy thermometer that underread by over 2 degrees meaning my mash was 67-68C. I usually use a ratio nearer 2.2:1 but hadn't considered that as a factor? Now I aim for 63-65C and still get finishing gravities around 11-12 from OGs 45-52ish

For a 1040 OG I'd expect a 1011 FG. So you last figures seem spot on to me. Even at 68 deg mash I don't notice much change in the FG although I must admit to not using theft barometer much, when the fermentation is obviously finished I rack without taking readings. Just too lazy. I only tweak the grit ratio in the hope to either increase or decrease the maltyness. The grit ratio further allows me to increase the amount of slow fermentable sugar for stronger brew i intend to keep for a while.

Latest posts

Back