Mangrove Jacks Mango Pale Ale review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GhostShip

Reaction score
Kit started 19th May 2022.
Added 1.5kg Mangrove Jacks Pure Liquid Malt Extract (Light), Pure Brew, and then made up to 23L with Tesco Ashbeck mineral water.
Fermented in brew fridge at 20°C.
Kit hops (Citra & Azacca) added on 1st June.
Bottled on 3rd June, with one sugar stick (mix of white and brown) per 500ml bottle and put into brew fridge at 20°C.
Moved out to shed on 19th June.
First pint - Friday 15th July.

I love the flavour of mango but was slightly unsure about doing this kit as I'd seen it described online as "like something you'd have with your breakfast cereal". However, I'd also seen others being really positive, so decided to give it a go.

I needn't have worried. Pours beautifully; a lovely golden orange colour with a perfect fluffy white head and good carbonation. No twang on the nose - just lots of mango! I guess like most things in life, beer is subjective - what one person likes another won't, but if you like a fruity beer (I'm reminded of Badger Golden Glory which I think used to be called something else but I can't remember the name and is peach flavoured - lovely summer pint) then I can highly recommend this one.

Definitely best served chilled - I'd had it in the fridge for a couple of days and it was just right for a warm evening. Crisp and dry with an initial hit of mango, followed by a perfect bitter finish and not a hint of twang. I'd liken it to Mangrove Jacks Pink Grapefruit IPA (apart from the fact that it's a different fruit!), which I actually prefer to Elvis Juice as the grapefruit is a lot more subtle in the kit. The fruit flavours in this one are a bit stronger than the Pink Grapefruit, but I still really like it. Over the past couple of years, I've become a huge fan of the Mangrove Jacks kits - Juicy Session IPA, Pink Grapefruit IPA and Citra IPA (which I'm also drinking at the moment), are all absolutely top notch and I'm now adding the Mango Pale Ale to the list. It's superb and the perfect summer beer for afternoons/evenings in the garden. 10/10.

Attachments

• Mango_Pale_Ale.jpg
    Mango_Pale_Ale.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 8
Got one of these in the Kegerator myself at the moment, only had a couple of pints from it so far but it's pretty good. Not too overpowering on the mango.

I bought a can of a mango sour beer in Tescos a while back, can't remember the brewery. I'm not averse to a sour but this stuff poured from the can like actual mango juice, really thick / gloopy, and I'd describe it as what you'd get if you had some mango juice in a carton, opened it and just left it somewhere warm for a few weeks, bit like when orange juice goes off / fizzy. It was pretty nasty 🤪 (Still drank it) This beer is nothing like that 😁

I’m actually drinking one (or more) of my Mangrove Jacks Pink Grapefruit IPA. They‘ve been in the fridge for a few days now and they’re just perfect for a warm evening. I thought the pink grapefruit smell and taste would dissipate (I bottled it a good few months ago) but if anything, it’s a bit more pronounced. Whatever the case, it’s definitely much better if you drink it (very) chilled. On the strength of this, I’m minded to now try the Mango kit.

Got one of these in the Kegerator myself at the moment, only had a couple of pints from it so far but it's pretty good. Not too overpowering on the mango.

I bought a can of a mango sour beer in Tescos a while back, can't remember the brewery. I'm not averse to a sour but this stuff poured from the can like actual mango juice, really thick / gloopy, and I'd describe it as what you'd get if you had some mango juice in a carton, opened it and just left it somewhere warm for a few weeks, bit like when orange juice goes off / fizzy. It was pretty nasty 🤪 (Still drank it) This beer is nothing like that 😁
Siren made a Mango Pale like that last year, perfectly drinkable but I'd have got a similar result from adding voddy to mango juice 😄

Siren made a Mango Pale like that last year, perfectly drinkable but I'd have got a similar result from adding voddy to mango juice 😄
You beat me to it. That Siren bore no resemblance to beer.

In addition to the MJ beers lauded above, can I add their Raspberry Weiss to tge list if truly excellent kitsfrom them? It is a lovely pint, with the rasps not over powering.

Well, it’s finally happened. Had friends around last night and the guy is always up for trying my home brew. We had a pint each of my Mango Pale Ale and then moved on to an American IPA from a local brewery, which I thought was excellent. As it was a new beer to me, I asked him what he thought of it - “It’s good, but I actually much prefer your home brew”.

Still chuffed this morning 😃

Just ordered this kit today along with a Razorback IPA. Looking forward to trying out the Mango Pale Ale.

Well I tried it and I loved it. It’s been ready for 6 weeks now and I’ve let it mellow. At first sniff I thought it was very like Mangrove Jacks Juicy Session IPA. I drank it and thought it was similar to a Juicy Session IPA. So to compare I followed it up with a pint of Mangrove Jacks Juicy Session IPA. Both are gorgeous. Both are 10/10. There is a subtle difference. But I must say I’d equally love both. I’ll definitely do the mango ipa again.

Attachments

• IMG_0091.jpeg
    IMG_0091.jpeg
    49.9 KB · Views: 0
My latest batch of Mango Pale Ale is currently conditioning in the shed. Bit worried about this week's heatwave, but it smelled great when I bottled it!

Let us know how it turned out!

Well, with the weather like this I couldn’t wait for the weekend! What can I say - fantastic! A little hazy, could be chill or more likely it will clear after I’ve poured a few. Even this misses said she could drink a pint of it 😂

Also

Attachments

• IMG_7305.jpeg
    IMG_7305.jpeg
    64.3 KB · Views: 0
Well, with the weather like this I couldn’t wait for the weekend! What can I say - fantastic! A little hazy, could be chill or more likely it will clear after I’ve poured a few. Even this misses said she could drink a pint of it 😂

Also

Great stuff! I need to leave mine in the shed for another couple of weeks but you're testing my patience now! Love the Tiny Rebel glass too!

Tried the first pint of my latest batch of Mango Pale Ale at the weekend. Just as good as I remembered and fantastic to think I have another 39 pints of this in the shed. Glorious beer.

I just bottled a batch of Razorback IPA last night. Next I’m going to be playing with a Coopers Canadian Blonde to create something else with an IPA yeast and Mosaic and Citra Hops. After that I’m buying a Pink Grapefruit IPA and a Mango IPA from Msngrove Jacks.

Latest posts

Back