Can you add more fruit to fruit wine?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juggernaut

Reaction score
Hi
iv just started two new batches of fruit wine, a gallon of blueberry and a gallon of mixed summer fruit.
Iv put in approx 3 pounds of fruit for each batch with 2.5 pounds of sugar each and the usual tanning yeast nutrient pectalose finning etc but iv read The more fruit the better bodied and richer colour it will be? It's on day two of being in brewing bins now and bubbling away nicely, my question is can I add say another pound or two of the fruits to each bin to improve it or have I left it too late? Also should I add more sugar if I add moe fruit as I'd like a sweet wine as opposed to a dry one?

Many thanks for everyones help, iv only made one other batch of wine before, a raspberry wine which turned out pretty great even if I do say so myself lol

cheers
luke

Hi there, if your only on day 2 in the brewing bin I wouldnt see why not, I have done this myself of a few occasions like adding bluberries, make sure you havent altered the specific gravity tho and dont put the new fruit in hot as it will kill the yeasts.

Alternatively , simply add a litre of grape juice, I have also done this to add flavour and body to a must.
Good luck

Adding more fruit sounds fine to me :thumb:

An extra pound or so of fruit to the gallon is unlikely to increase your OG by more than 5 points.

I wouldn't add any more sugar at this stage, you can always add a few ounces more towards the end of fermentation, or rack, stabilise and back-sweeten your wine before bottling.

Latest posts

Back