Canadian Blonde gravity readings help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcurtis

Reaction score
Ingredients/details:

I x Coopers canadian blonde kit
1 x Safale US-05 Beer Yeast
1 x coopers beer enhancer 1 kit
1 x Muntons 500g Light Spraymalt
Yeast added at 16.4 degrees c
Opening gravity: 1050

Hello,

My 22l batch of coopers canadian blonde has been fermenting for 14 days at 16-18 degrees c, obviously colder during the night.

I've taken a hydrometer reading the last two days and it seems stuck around 1022, is this too high to bottle?

I've read that as i've used spraymalt my final gravity reading will be higher than normal as spraymalt contains ingredients that are not fermentable, is this correct??

Any help/reccomendations would be appreciated....thanks!!
bcurtis
Sober

I've not done kits, but use S-05 a lot. I tend to keep it at 18C for the first few days, and then as fermentation slows warm it to 19C.

I would suggest trying to find somewhere a bit warmer and see if that kicks things off, and if not gently rouse the yeast. S05 attenuates very well so I would think it it has someway to go yet

Just tucking into a Canadian Blonde now, just used sugar for primary as when I've added BKE it tastes wierd, What was the SG? I've had a lager take 3 weeks to ferment out before at 16 - 18degC

Good luck

Colin :cheers:

sounds too high to me. give it time.

all malt contains non-fermentables, spray malt is almost definitely going to be the same as regular malt, it's just extracted and then dried. believe me, if they contained more non-fermentables than regular malt, the community would probably be all over them.

Well as it's well cold in north of scotland the now, i've been placing two hot water bottles against my home brew and wrapping tinfoil and then a couple of towels round it at night when the temps really dip, hopefully this has helped.

I've read elsewhere that this kinda methods are not good as they produce hot spots and subsequently off flavours.

Anyone any experience of using hot water bottles and tinfoil??

Gonna take a gravity reading tonite to see if my readings are any lower.

I have just kegged my first Blonde, took a long while and never reached as low an FG reading as i was expecting about 1014 IIRC
It semed to take a while for the yeast to start working, so im not sure if you had similar issues.
I look forward to trying it!

mhewitson said:
I have just kegged my first Blonde, took a long while and never reached as low an FG reading as i was expecting about 1014 IIRC
It semed to take a while for the yeast to start working, so im not sure if you had similar issues.
I look forward to trying it!

I used the Safale US-05 Beer Yeast which went off like a rocket, I think my slowdown has a lot to do with temperature control, have bought a 100w fishtank heater with thermostat will use it over the winter for further brews.

I had a taste of mine the other nite when i took my reading and tasted good at that point!!! Nice body to the beer, must be the addition of the spraymalt. Just hope bottling and conditioning goes well as i think this beer (touch wood) will be quality after a few weeks in the bottle!!! :cheers:

bcurtis said:
Well as it's well cold in north of scotland the now, i've been placing two hot water bottles against my home brew and wrapping tinfoil and then a couple of towels round it at night when the temps really dip, hopefully this has helped.

I've read elsewhere that this kinda methods are not good as they produce hot spots and subsequently off flavours.

I don't know what your budget is but I bought a thermostat (Aquel TS-500)£20) from an aquarium shop thingy, and a brew belt (£21), you plug the thermostat into the mains and the brewbelt into the thermostat, set the desired temp on the stat and the brewbelt only comes on when the temp dips below the desired temp so it stays on at night this time of year and turns off during the day

how does that work out for keeping it at temp range hollow legs? I'm debating between something like you described and converting an old fridge into a "chamber."

Hollow Legs said:
bcurtis said:

I don't know what your budget is but I bought a thermostat (Aquel TS-500)£20) from an aquarium shop thingy, and a brew belt (£21), you plug the thermostat into the mains and the brewbelt into the thermostat, set the desired temp on the stat and the brewbelt only comes on when the temp dips below the desired temp so it stays on at night this time of year and turns off during the day

Well I just bought a aquarium heater from argos 9 bucks, went to put it in my fermenting bucket and dropped the feckin thing and cracked the glass.......doh!!!!!

Will have to go back to argos cause obviously it was damaged in the box before i bought the product!!!! ;)

I'm thinking a fishtank heater is going to be the best way for me to keep a constant temperature......I hope anyway!!

I did look at the brewbelt but wasn't convinced by them, will have another look at them though, yours work ok???

Latest posts

Back