Candi Syrup

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dizidave

Reaction score
I have been reading the "How to" guide on making Belgian Candi Syrup, i am going to give it a go.

I thought while i was at it i might do 2KG of sugar worth.

My question is, how long will it keep?

Im assuming it will be OK for a while as these sorts of things (concentrated sugar solutions) tend to last for a long time usually.

I was going to put it in a 5 litre PET and use as i need it.

Ta.

Should last for ages but, what I've done before is to make it a bit thicker and then stick it in the freezer until I need it.

I used some a month after I made it with no problems. As you say it's a concentrated syrup, any bacteria that try and grow in it will be killed by osmosis sucking out all their fluid. It should have a very long shelf life

Well, did this last night, took me about an hour in total.

I didnt have a thermometer so wingged it a bit.

It ended up a lovely toffee/reddy colour with no unpleasant tatse or anything so fingers crossed it is ok?

Gong to use it in my Brewferm Triple. :drunk:

Well done - and I'm delighted the 'how to' has come in handy. It will last for ages, but if it does, you're not brewing (and by definition drinking) your beer fast enough.

I've got it down to a fine art now - if I'm doing a Belgian beer, I start the candi inversion process as soon as the mash is on. I mash for 90 minutes which gives me plenty of time to even do a dark candi if I'm doing a dubbel. It gives me something to do - the alternative would be to keep making bacon sandwiches to occupy my time.

Latest posts

Back