Substituting sucrose for Belgian candi sugar

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I watched David Heaths blog and he uses 20% amber candi sugar. Personally I wouldn’t go over 500g and I would use brown sugar.

You have to think like a professional brewer. In a product like Leffe, the cheapest sucrose based product would be used (maybe partially inverted so it stays liquid).
Blimey! Looking at the footnotes of this page there is one called "Belgian Candi [sic] sugar". And you're in there trying to pass on the fact that table sugar is just as good. And here we are over 5 years later going over the same ground because someone needs an alternative rip-off because they haven't got the "real" rip-off.

You are exhibiting super-human patience. You also have the advantage of living in Belgium; not that it seems to do any good. I'd have cracked by now; in fact, I'm cracking already ...

%$!&**!$ "Belgian" $&*!%$! Candi [sick] !$&*%%! Sugar ...

You are exhibiting super-human patience. You also have the advantage of living in Belgium; not that it seems to do any good. I'd have cracked by now; in fact, I'm cracking already ...
Maybe I have just a short memory :-p

But I see here recommendations of dark sugar. Leffe is a blond beer.

Sorry to jump into this subject but i am wanting to brew David Heath's Belgian Quadrupel. in the recipe it calls for 1.6kg of Dark Candied sugar which i don't have but i do have Lyles Black Treacle could i use this and if so how much i need. Thanks for your help
That stuff is overpowering tastewise I used a full can for 23 litres and should have used half the amount. It only took about 18 months to be drinkable.

Latest posts

Back