Cant clear cloudy hazy beer ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mugatu78

Reaction score
Well. My latest problem is my attempt at a lia fail style Scottish ale is so cloudy/hazy. Three weeks down the line. Protafloc in boil gelatine added in secondry(king keg) and the stuff is so cloudy you cant see thru it at all. Im just wondering wether to pour it down drain, i did have proba getting full fermentation. Stuck at 1020 so added another pack of yeast and got it to 1014 but god its cloudy doesnt look nice. Tastese decent aswell. Isinglass any good ? I did hv 10% torrified wheat in which im not sure of that hazes up, standard 70min 65-67 deg mash temp. Any comments appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Nothing wrong with cloudy beer if it tastes good, DO NOT CHUCK IT, especially if it’s only been bottled for 3 weeks.

Time and gravity (maybe helped with a little bit of cold storage) will help clear a beer, especially a malty one that won’t suffer as badly from hop fade.

Ok im convinced to keep it. I wanted to keep it i just wasnt sure if i was wasting my time or if even it would give me “the skoots” or something haha. I will mby give it another week out in the shed then hv a few see how it goes. Definitely going to skip the wheat from on and mby try chill it fast also. This one just chilled overnight as didnt have my chill coil set up at the time.
Thanks for reply. Always appreciated

Well. My latest problem is my attempt at a lia fail style Scottish ale is so cloudy/hazy. Three weeks down the line. Protafloc in boil gelatine added in secondry(king keg) and the stuff is so cloudy you cant see thru it at all. Im just wondering wether to pour it down drain, i did have proba getting full fermentation. Stuck at 1020 so added another pack of yeast and got it to 1014 but god its cloudy doesnt look nice. Tastese decent aswell. Isinglass any good ? I did hv 10% torrified wheat in which im not sure of that hazes up, standard 70min 65-67 deg mash temp. Any comments appreciated. Thanks in advance.

If it tastes good, don't dump it. Why did it need another pack of yeast? Was it a big batch, of a very heavy ale (unlikely, if Scotch)?

"Wheat—unmalted wheat, in particular—is more protein-heavy than barley, and several varieties (malted wheat in hefeweizen and Dunkelweizen and unmalted winter wheat in witbier, for example) will make haze much more likely."

It was meant to be a lia fail clone 23 litres but i added some torrified wheat to aid a good head. Wish i hadnt bothered as it was a variable i didnt need now that im trying find a problem. I expect a bit hazy but this is cloudy and cant see thru a pint its much more murky than i expected especially with adding finings.
Well the extra yeast pack was purely bcoz i didnt reach my fg 1012. Stalled 1020 after two weeks. I mby should have just stirred it up and left another couple weeks but i pitched another full pack of yeast which could well be soley responsible for it being so cloudy. I just dont know. Ive only done a few batches and learning via mistakes it seems.

It was meant to be a lia fail clone 23 litres but i added some torrified wheat to aid a good head. Wish i hadnt bothered as it was a variable i didnt need now that im trying find a problem. I expect a bit hazy but this is cloudy and cant see thru a pint its much more murky than i expected especially with adding finings.
Well the extra yeast pack was purely bcoz i didnt reach my fg 1012. Stalled 1020 after two weeks. I mby should have just stirred it up and left another couple weeks but i pitched another full pack of yeast which could well be soley responsible for it being so cloudy. I just dont know. Ive only done a few batches and learning via mistakes it seems.
My fastest clearing beer to-date had 10% torrified wheat so I think you need to be looking elsewhere for the reason - the problem of the yeast not fully attenuating points to some other issue with the process or yeast health that is more likely to be the issue. I've read that chilling wort quickly is a good thing for wort quality but since I've never chilled slowly I have nothing to compare to.

Oh, and don't chuck beer if it tastes good. Have a few bottles and see what your constitution is doing the next morning!

My fastest clearing beer to-date had 10% torrified wheat so I think you need to be looking elsewhere for the reason - the problem of the yeast not fully attenuating points to some other issue with the process or yeast health that is more likely to be the issue. I've read that chilling wort quickly is a good thing for wort quality but since I've never chilled slowly I have nothing to compare to.

Oh, and don't chuck beer if it tastes good. Have a few bottles and see what your constitution is doing the next morning!
Haha ok will do. Yeh glad to hear that its not the wheat then atleast. Hmm. I will try the recipe again i think and cold chill just to see the difference

I am sure its not the torrified wheat I have used it for years and with porridge oats aswell and never had a problem. Post the full recipe up so that we can look for any other reason like hops and how many and addition times etc. It sounds as if it is murky and not cloudy to me from your description. How much protofloc did you use and at what time?

The protafloc was one tablet with 5 mins left in the boil and was t much in the way of hops. I jidy used what i had. I forget exactly what they were oops. Really should write this stuff down. I did use hop spider tho...

Hi Mugatu 78
the ideal use of protofloc is half a tablet for a 23ltr brew at 10 to 15 minutes from flameout too much will cause what looks like cauliflower clumps in the wort. This may have contributed to the murkiness but if you have transferred it to the FV but usually not as plenty of brewers tip everything into the FV. I would put the protofloc in at 15 mins next time also once you have flamed out leave it for a few minutes to settle unless you are chilling then chill and then leave for 10 mins for the clumps to settler and try not to transfer this to the FV next time. Regards the hops a large amount of hops will cause murkiness but should clear up with time but may not go completely clear as with some IPA,s that have large hop additions. You do need to log everything you do so you can refer back to it and reproduce any good brews also it helps forum members to work out how to help. Crash chilling at the end of fermentation will help with clarity too

Great thanks for advice. Very appreciated. I will definitely take that on board. Makes me think I need to be more organised and tighter with my brew day schedule and reduce the variables that can cause issues.
Still learning but loving it :) Thanks again

Back