Carbonation drops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iian

Reaction score
Anybody tried using the Coopers carbonation drops?
They sound like a good idea to me, no fiddling around with a funnel, just drop one in each 500ml bottle.

Since you asked, I think they are a waste of money.

Also they are inflexible, it's hard to vary the amount you use to prime a bottle with. I used to just stand a bag of sugar on top of electronic scales, and take out the desired amount for each bottle.

Then istarted batch priming, and i think that is easier.

Just read the batch priming how to guide and agree this does sound a much simpler method

Just to give another view. I have used them on the beers I have bottled and it makes it a fast and simple process to pop one in each bottle.
The convenience and lack of mess, for me, make it worth whatever the difference in cost is.

I will probably only brew half a dozen times a year, so its easier just to have a couple of bags in the cupboard. Also a half used bag presents no problems of spillage.

Cheers

Of course that's fair enough - each to their own.

I like to use different amount of priming sugar, depending what i am bottling.

How are you finding the Muntons Imperial Stout by the way? I did that last year and it was delicious, I was upset when it ran out!

It's very nice with hints of liquorice and toffee. Its a good winter warmer type beer.

I'm glad I made it for Christmas and would highly recommend to anyone who likes stout or Guinness.

In fact I'm going to stick a couple in the fridge right now :D

How can "Imperial Stout" and 3.7% belong together? On the carbonation front, batch prime all the way. 150g of sugar in the bottling bucket, and away you go.

For me its not all about out and out alcoholic strength, in fact there are times when having more of a less alcoholic drink is better.
For what its worth I appreciate a beer for its taste far more than how quickly it gets me drunk and generally its the right combination of the two factors that make it good or not.

This is definitely a kit I would brew again (at this strength) and be very happy with it.

Cheers,

Blackrat

Back