Bottling with or without drops?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nooie

Reaction score
Hello, I've not posted here before really, just been reading stuff. I searched for a topic on bottling with carbonation drops, but didn't find what i was looking for. My question is do I use the drops or not when bottling. I've used them before when making beer kits from a tin, but I've recently started brewing with all grain using a Grainfather and the conical G30 fermenter. Should I use the drops or better without when bottling?

I'm doing my second brew of a clone of Beavertown's Gamma Ray. My first was a clone of Brewdog's Punk IPA which didn't go so well. The pump got clogged up or I think it was the ball valve which meant it wouldn't circulate through the pump or pump to the conical meaning I had to syphon it and lost half the brew in all. I've removed the ball and spring so my Gamma Ray brew was no problem.

TIA

Nooie

They're handy.

I don't batch prime as I don't like to transfer to another vessel, or add a sugar solution and stir.

Thanks for the replies. So how much caster sugar would I use for a 400ml bottle?

Thanks for the replies. So how much caster sugar would I use for a 400ml bottle?
For an ale, a quarter teaspoon. For something fizzy like a lager, a half teaspoon. For something fizzy like weissbier, half to a full teaspoon.

There are calculators online that'll give you more detailed calculations, but that's a good rule of thumb

If you have drops left over then use them up! There's two sizes, the Coopers ones are around 4g (usually 60 in a pack) and the Wilkos and Muntons ones are around 2.5-3g (80 to a pack).
Coopers specify 1 drop for small bottles and 2 for larger ones, the 3g ones are generally 2 for a 500ml bottle.

Back