Carrot and Parsnip wine? Or keep them seperate?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hypnoticmonkey

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have 3.7kg of parsnips and 2.1kg of carrots. I buy them as and when they're in the reduced section of the co op and them freeze them. I'm trying to build up enough to make a 15L batch of wine.

Has anyone here combined the two into one wine? I feel as if I've got enough, or almost enough, to make 15L of wine from them both. I'm not so keen on making 1Gal batches anymore, so I'd be interested in mixing them if others would recommend it.

Also, does anyone have a suggested recipe? I've seen some use honey in parsnip wine. I have amylase for the starch.

So you boil until soft or just for a little bit? Strain gently, sieve only or squeeze all possible juice out?

Many thanks in advance.

Um
They are quite different flavours, in the finished wines.
Which isn't to say it wouldn't be a good mix.
Never thought of it before.

Thanks Oldbloke.

Based on that comment I feel inclined to keep them seperate for this upcoming batch. If I'm making 3+ gallons, I'd like to know its a reliable recipe.

Deffo do not boil the parsnip until they are mushy, or do not squeeze them either as the resulting wine will be a real bitch to get clear, or more likely you wont get it to clear.
Gently simmer the nips until they are soft, then strain them off.
I do not know about mixing them though - i cant see any reason why you could not do it though - colour would be interesting!

Latest posts

Back