Changed the water I use

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welsh123

Reaction score
I have changed the water I use for brewing and since I have changed my fermentation goes on for weeks . Is this a bad thing ?
The water is bottled as my tap water is not good to drink.
I did a few brews with another water and suffered a few stuck fermentation's so I have tried this other water and the last two brews have fermented well over a week almost two more than the kit said .I have yet to taste any finished beer but when I bottled the last one it smelt great and I tried the beer i tested for FG and it tasted great.

You should ferment for 2 weeks, so I don't think you have a problem. Kits are usually over optimistic about fermentation times.

You should ferment for 2 weeks, so I don't think you have a problem. Kits are usually over optimistic about fermentation times.

[rant]
You shoukd ferment for as long as it takes to hit fg plus a 2 day diactyl rest...2 weeks is a reasonable rule of thumb but it isn’t a rule and more often than not, beer is finished well within that time. Dry hopping complicates this a little but generally adding the dry hop time to the time taken above will suffice.
2 weeks is often pushed as a rule but without and reasoning, people should understand how long beer should stay in the fv.
[/rant]

Disclaimer: as I always say, whilst I don’t agree with the 2+2+2 rule, I tend to leave beers in the fv for 2 weeks (with or without dry hop) but that’s because it fits with my brewing schedule more than anything else.

In early days it was temperature which caused most of my problems. What I had not considered was a stick on temperature stick will show some where between ambient and brew temperature, there is nothing to insulate from ambient, using a sensor you can insulate with a simple sponge so very close to brew temperature, the other point is 40 pints takes a lot of heating and cooling, if the brew when up and down with room temperature then a room at 20°C during the day is great, but where the room is 20°C in the day and 16°C at night the brew will sit some where between the two, and 18°C is just on the limit for most kit beers.

So when the beer was fermenting well, there was some heat from the fermenting so brew likely at around 19°C but as it got into the cleaning stage it was dropping to 18°C which is just about warm enough, but at that temperature very slow, just 1/2 a degree at these temperatures can mean 5 days difference in brewing time. It will not likely stop, but it will really slow down.

I found a body warmer was great, the air lock sticks out of the neck, and a stool lifting the fermenter just a foot off the ground also helped, but still on the edge, I had an 18 watt demo underfloor heating tile, just the right size to fit under the fermenter, this was slow to heat the 40 pints so I could manually switch it on then 4 hours latter switch it off again and I had got about 2°C raise, however the problem was, I would forget, and end up with a 8°C raise which was far too much.

This manual Heath Robinson control resulted in not really knowing if what I had done to the brew had altered the taste better or worse, or if simply down to temperature. The moving to thermostatic control was more by accident than something carefully planned, the old fridge/freezer was condemned faulty insulation however the ice build up it caused will not happen using it as a brewing fridge, so moved from kitchen to garage. It was only then I realised what was happening.

At 18°C in the kitchen the brew seemed to start very well, but in the brew fridge it stalled, I needed 19°C for it to run well, this had me scratching my head until I realised the stick on was showing 1°C lower than the sensor to start with, but the same temperature at the end of the brew, this was when I realised the stick on is more of an average between the ambient and brew temperature. There was however a down side, I expected except for heart of summer not to need cooling, however the insulation on the fridge/freezer may be faulty, but it still stopped most of the heat from fermenting from escaping so first 5 days needed cooling.

I will guess your problem has nothing to do with water, and is more down to temperature. It caught me out, so seems reasonable it will do the same with others.

I have changed the water I use for brewing and since I have changed my fermentation goes on for weeks . Is this a bad thing ?
I did a few brews with another water and suffered a few stuck fermentation's so I have tried this other water and the last two brews have fermented well over a week almost two more than the kit said .I have yet to taste any finished beer but when I bottled the last one it smelt great and I tried the beer i tested for FG and it tasted great.

Two words: kit yeast. If you want a quick and clean fermentation that leaves clear beer in the fermenter replace the sachet with something like Nottingham or S-04. Both of those ferment fast and flocculate hard.

I suspect your change to bottled water coincided with the colder winter temps. I've been using the same bottled water for 3 years and it takes a bit longer in winter as overnight temps dip a bit even though the there's always somewhere in the house at around 21.

that and of course any change of yeast used.

I live in Spain and the temp is between 19 and 21 deg so its not the temp .
I used the yeast supplied in the kit .
I dont care if it takes 3 weeks to finish fermenting I was just curious if it was the water that had changed things .
I´m new to this as you can tell lol.

Latest posts

Back