Changing Caps On Pressure Barrels

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross Bacon

Reaction score
HI All

I have recently bought a brew kit (my first), the equipment I have is a "Young's Brew" basic starter pack, there is no problem with it and I'm happy with the purchase.
I am confused though as my pressure barrel came with 2 lids/caps. One is a pressure relief cap and the other is a CO2 injector cap.
The reason I am confused is because I was told that it isn't good to have you brew (during second fermentation) exposed to oxygen but yet I also know that you need to add CO2 via the CO2 injector when you start drinking.
The question I have is this - When I move my brew to the pressure barrel do I seal it with the pressure relief cap and then change the cap to the CO2 injector cap once the second fermentation has complete?
The instructions I got with the kit didn't explain any help would be greatly appreciated.
I'm happy to post pictures of the kit if it helps.

Thanks

Ross

Nope, you leave the injector cap on all the time. It'll have its own release valve built in unless you've got some madcrazy new one that nobody's seen that they've started knocking out during this mad uptake in homebrewery to meet demand. I, sir, thing that is unlikely and the injector cap is legit.

If you can only prime the keg with sugar the pressure relief lid will be fine. If you have a c02 injector use the other as sometimes the initial pressure from the first sugar prime can reduce as you draw beer.

Thanks guys, that helps and now gives me confidence, I’m sure CO2 cap isn’t a new design rushes out

Back