Cheap beer glasses

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewDan

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hello all, just got back from Tesco they are doing 3 beer glasses for £2. Think its only on until the weekend, had all sorts duvel, guiness, wells, and some I have never heard of.

If you need any replacements may be an idea to pop down to your nearest. :cheers:

Ah you show off haha, how do you manage that? Im not going to complain at the price I just paid, im more than happy :D

BrewDan said:
Ah you show off haha, how do you manage that? Im not going to complain at the price I just paid, im more than happy :D
If I pay more than £3.00 a pint my brain tells me that's inclusive of the glass that is free to take home!!

BB

BarnsleyBrewer said:
If I pay more than £3.00 a pint my brain tells me that's inclusive of the glass that is free to take home!!
:lol: I'm so glad it's not just me then :whistle:

I 'bought' one of these
kwak-glass.gif
from a local Belgian restaurant and still haven't used it at home. My dad worked in a pub for a while so he got me loads of pint glasses. I think he got them legitimately, I never asked. :pray:

I have raised this question once before, with the prices some establishments charge you might be forgiven for assuming that the cost of the glass is included in the purchase price, and that I have never seen any disclaimer on any bill of fare to the effect that this is not so.

Hypnoticmonkey came back with an interesting point: Be very specific about the contract terms.

If you ask for a pint of bitter and they ask you for £3 which you pay, the contract is for them to supply and for you to purchase a measured volume of beverage. The glass is merely on loan, it's a convenient method for them to dispense what you have contracted to purchase, rather than having you lie on your back behind the bar with your mouth open while the beer fairy pulls the handle. If you subsequently walk off with that glass you are committing an act of theft.

If you ask for a pint of bitter and “may I have a handle glass please” and they still charge you £3, they have delivered the volume of beverage requested and acceded to your request for a tankard, you are therefore in the clear.

As a family man I have a major problem with the prices often charged for soft drinks. If you request (for example) a J2O (but that could also apply to bottled beers) and they ask you “would you like a glass?”, they have volunteered to gift you a drinking vessel in addition to the purchased beverage. What they should say (but which has never been said to me) is “that will be £x please, and would you like to borrow a glass for the duration of your stay with us?”

None of the aforementioned should be construed as formal legal advice, the scenarios proposed are purely hypothetical and I hereby absolve myself from any responsibility in a court of law should any readers be misguided enough to attempt to validate their accuracy in the real world.

I think it is fair enough to have a glass too if you are paying that much, plus to get the loverly (spelt phonetically as I am in Wiltshire) Black Rat cider glasses it is the only way. Something about an angled but straight drinking glass that I really like!

Moley said:
As a family man I have a major problem with the prices often charged for soft drinks.
Same here, my wife and two kids have soft drinks..... If I buy expensive J2O's I can have half pint glasses, If they want a carbonated soft drink from the pump it has to be an ultra expensive "regular". :twisted:

BB

I would rather give my boy a glass of organic milk... maybe they should serve that in pubs.... bit of a hippy hence the organic but if they do coffee and tea in pubs why not? (mainly in family pubs obviously)

As a licensee I don't mind people stealing glasses. However I do mind them walking down the road with them as it is an offence to have an open alcoholic beverage in a public place in city centres and usually the licensing officer will send all hell falling on your next review if you get reported for 'letting people drink on the street' when as you rightly say.. its now 'their property'. :shock:

Besides it means I buy new glasses or get new free ones from local breweries for you all to 'loan' and to add to your (and my) collections.

Oh wow, I have been away on holiday busy with weddings etc etc and not logged on for a few weeks. Some interesting points have been made. Maybe all my glasses should be free from now on when I am down the local, but still I only paid a £1 for brand new shiney ones.

I like the look of that contraption that you posted a photo of, looks like a science experiment!

BrewDan said:
Oh wow, I have been away on holiday busy with weddings etc etc and not logged on for a few weeks. Some interesting points have been made. Maybe all my glasses should be free from now on when I am down the local, but still I only paid a £1 for brand new shiney ones.

I like the look of that contraption that you posted a photo of, looks like a science experiment!
That 'contraption' is a Kwak glass in its stand.
How do I know ??? I sell em
:D :D

ricardo said:
BrewDan said:

That 'contraption' is a Kwak glass in its stand.
How do I know ??? I sell em
:D :D
Ooh, how much? They'd make a nice Christmas present.

9.99 for the glass & stand.
But then you have p & p on that so getting a bit pricey.
Depends on how flush you are !!

Latest posts

Back