Cheap cider like beverage, is it likely to work?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

without cleaning on the old beer yeast. o.o

if you want to do a delutable clean one, get a spirtit (turbo) yeast. goes to arround 20 abv and you than wonderfully flavour and deconcentrate it with whatever juice/squash flafour she likes. plus you get more with less space needed.

LG Maddy

Hi,

without cleaning on the old beer yeast. o.o

if you want to do a delutable clean one, get a spirtit (turbo) yeast. goes to arround 20 abv and you than wonderfully flavour and deconcentrate it with whatever juice/squash flafour she likes. plus you get more with less space needed.

LG Maddy

20% abv wash flavoured and drank as is without distilling?

Woah I feel bad for your head! That's going to be full of some nasty byproducts. Acetaldehyde, Methanol, Acetone, Fossil Fuels ect all produce in much higher quantities when you go over 15%

Usually this wouldn't matter with the spirit turbo yeasts because they are supposed to be distilled. When the fores and heads are removed in distilling so are the by products.

It won't kill you but the headache I imagine would be awful the following day!

if you ferment it clean and at a decent temperature you will be fine. dont stress the little buddys, feed them in intervalls and keep at 20degree. done before and if you use it as a mixer, you only have 1/4 of the fermented stuff in anyhow, rest will be whatever you aad as flavour.

Thank you all, I don't have a local brew shop any more, all I have is Charlies also known as Coed Dinas who do kits and some of the hard wear but basis one shelve in the organic foods section, they do a better range of tractors.

There was a good shop in Saltney near to where I use to live, and Shrewsbury where my daughter lives, but both closed, and not into on line shopping.

So picking up packets of yeast is a problem, also things like yeast foods, and flavours, or the charcoal to remove the after tastes, all were easy to get when the brew shops were open.

I am not really into cider, did try once with real apples, and it was so dry had to add loads of sugar before drinking, and I realised it needs those tablets adding to stop it brewing at a crucial point, but that also means it is flat, and walked around a museum in I think Hereford and it seems cider making is a lot more involved than I thought.

Idea of freezing a slug in neck is not really an option with DIY brewing. I also was surprised how long it took to clear, I used a juicer rather than a press, and it was a lot of work for a disappointing result, and today the problem is keeping the brew warm enough, I use a demo under floor heating tile 20 watt which the fermenter sits on, with a sensor held under a sponge and buggy cord, and side of fermenter with a thermostatic controller, but only have one, so two fermenter are placed very close together as share the one heater, so making a cider means not making beer, so don't make much.

The alternative to tables to stop brewing seems to be put it in the fridge, so I have a fridge full of cider, that way can have a little fizz, and still keep it sweet. Again a limited space, so limited quantity can be made.

The thoughts are is it worth it, or should I just buy some cans?

Latest posts

Back