Cheap courier suggestions?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Algernon

Regular.
Reaction score
I have a few bits and bobs I am planning to ebay (nothing Beer-related, parcel shelves and a spare wheel) but I have no idea how much such things will be to post out.
I know a lot of people here buy and sell heavy items fairly often so I thought I might be able to pick some of your brains.
Has anybody used a courier service that they can confidently recommend as being cheap and efficient?
(Mods - feel free to move this if it's in the wrong place).

I recently had a big BBQ delivered and had to arrange my own courier I searched parcel monkey and I think one of the couriers listed delivered it for 9.99+VAT, it weighed 11kg and was delivered next day, couldn't fault them

I use Parcel To Go too. I recently tried to send stuff to Buster using Yodel and they never picked up, Buster confirms he's had very poor service from them too. I then use DHL but had to drop off and print labels but all was well and good.
I recently used Hermes via the drop off at a shop, again all well and good.
If you work I'd say beware collection from home as pick up slots can be 7am-8pm and it ties you in all day.

Thanks guys. I have spotted that Hermes do a collection from my local newsagents so I can drop off there. They seem pretty reasonably priced too.

have just returned a parcel via Collectplus £4.89 pay online and print the label take parcel to the nearest collectplus pickup point, ie shop, garage etc.

I don't think Hermes facilitate big parcels. Parcel Monkey are by far the best and cheapest I have found for large and heavy parcels, they only go upto 15KG and for what they charge you could get 30KG from Parcel Monkey. I sent some 2m x 1m framed mirrors down to london all crated up in a wooden box they weighed over 60KG and it cost me about £40. They arrived in one piece more to the point. :thumb: :thumb:

Has anybody had a good experience with yodel?
I shall look into parcel monkey and parcel 2go. All of this necessitates buying some scales that can weigh a 14inch alloy plus tyre. I guess bathroom scales would probably manage it?

Yodel used to be something else (can't remember) but when they became yodel all the major on-line brokers dropped them like a brick. i have had problems with them as well.

Buster said:
Were they the old DHL ??

Are yes DHL sold off part of the business and Yodel was formed :thumb: :thumb:

Thats when I stopped using them they lost a parcel or something. :thumb:

Buster said:
Were they the old DHL ??

Yup, Home Delivery Network bought the domestic part of DHL and called themselves Yodel.

HDN weren't to great to begin with and Yodel are worse. I stopped using them when it took 7 weeks after my first call for them to collect my broken Kindle for a warranty repair, when it was supposed to be next day. After that I heard some chat about a petition for Amazon to stop using them as their main courier because of all the problems. I stopped paying attention after that so don't know how it turned out.

I've sold a quite a bit of stuff on eBay and Parcel2go is the way forward. The courier we used most was Collect+ I think. Some of the newsagents etc in the area have drop off points so it meant we could book the delivery online and just drop it off at the nearest place. Beats waiting in all day for the courier to make the pickup!

I use MyHermes for 2-10kg parcels - I've found both the drop-off and collect from service to be good, never lost anything (out of probably 100 parcels) but there have been some slow pickups from shops. They accept parcels up to 120cm long.
Parcel2Go is good - I use them for heavier/larger & overseas.
Royal Mail are still good for small parcels and particularly small parcels overseas.
Collect+ are very restrictive on parcel dimensions so only used them a couple of times.

BTW - when ebaying a valuable item you need to use a signed for service if you want seller protection to cover you.

Good luck
Stuart

redhousebrewing said:
BTW - when ebaying a valuable item you need to use a signed for service if you want seller protection to cover you.

Good luck
Stuart

Thanks Stuart :thumb:
- I don't think my crappy bits warrant the extra cost, tbh. Nothing over about a tenner in value, just they have been cluttering up my cellar, and as we know, cellars need clearing out when the homebrew bug bites.

Back