cheaper balls valves from china - have I made a mistake?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaltyMat

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking at upgrading my brewing system, and when ahead and purchased some SS ball valves from china via ebay:

1/2" ball valve 3 way:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231012806823?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

1/2" ball valve:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321438624050?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

However, when they arrived, they do smell strongly of machine oil. I have washed them with water and a bit of dish washing liquid. They don't smell as strong, but it still remains.

I am now concerned that these may not be suitable for home brewing as they may not be food safe?.

I have searched on the internet, and a lot of people are saying that they dismantle the valves to clean them properly every couple of months, but these ones a a single piece and I don't think I can get to the ball valve to clean them completely.

Also each of the 1/2" ball valves (not the 3 ways), seem to have a deposit of some sort at the end of the thread around the edging of the valve face (I have attached some photos), it almost looks like rust, I have tried to scrape it off but it won't come off. I am worried that I should not have my precious wort running through them.

Would any of this be an issue for my brewing?

Thanks,

Mat

3way-1.JPG

3way-2.JPG

half-inch-ball-valve.JPG

half-inch-ball-valve-inside-1.JPG

half-inch-ball-valve-inside-2.JPG

i was going to say dont worry, that was till i scrolled down and say the deposits your talking about. YUK!! will it scratch off to reveal nice clean Stainless steel below?

if not i would email the ebay seller for replacement/refund, i have bought far east ebay SS fittings ball valves, and triclamp stuff with no major problems, and those that have arisen have been resolved ok..

but raise a problem attach the photo's and explain your use/need is for food grade fittings.. that isnt foodgrade.

the oil smell/residue you can expect to have to deal with, a few warm oxi soaks n scrubs should sort that out tho.

Thanks Fil,

Yes, I think I will send some photos to the seller, and see what they say

I have tried to scrape off the deposits, it does clean up a bit (it looks like it is part of the cast and hasn't been finished properly, as it is SS when scraped/filed with a needle file), but I think it could be prone to having nasties build up in and around it as it seems to be pitted and not smooth.

The 3 way valves seem fine, I will try a oxy wash and see if that helps the smell.

Thanks,

Mat

Hello

I ordered those from exactly the same seller and mine were perfect - there was no deposits or or oil on them - I would contact him and explain your not happy with them.

Latest posts

Back