Chilli jam

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sifty

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've been struggling with a broken motorcycle all day, over it, so made some chilli jam for a break. Last year's frozen jalapeños on the left, a fresh one on right...

No idea what variety it is but heat is off the charts. That tiny sliver had my eyes watering. Hope the rest of them ripen... 🙂

20230410_140016_copy_1367x911.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Chop 6-8 fresh or frozen chillies, 1 brown onion and a couple of cloves of garlic. Add to large pot with half cup of water, 2 cups white sugar, 1/3 cup white wine vinegar, juice of a lime or lemon, a tsp of fish sauce, and anything else that takes your fancy. You can chop fine or coarse, and de-seed if you want, depending what texture and heat you prefer...

Stir while heating until it boils, gently boil 30-40 mins, until it gels when placed on a plate that has been chilled in the freezer. Spoon into a sterilised jar, put on lid, invert for a couple of minutes, and done...
20230410_145635_copy_870x1231.jpg

Goes amazing with cheese and crackers...

Excellent! I shall steal your recipe.
Do you have a recipe for chilli sauce?
No not really. I was inundated with chillies last year so made a few sauces just by adding all sorts of things. Pickled some too, which was very convenient for adding to pizzas etc.

This year's plants (grown from seed) were supposed to be Carolina Reapers, but they look nothing like the Reaper fruit. So no idea what they are. I assumed they were jalapeños but are many, many times hotter... 😄

I fermented some of my excess chilies last year to make a tabasco like sause. Put them in a salt solution. This stops everything except some lactos from working. More details on the old www. But it turned out alright.

Latest posts

Back