Chocolate and vanilla porter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joeyriles said:
Woohoo! Let me know when/if it's ready. Could always do a like-for-like postage swap with one of my homebrew IPA (kit but bloody good, I think.)

I am a serious hop head and love my IPA style beers so you have yourself a deal sir!

Mine is going nicely :D 2nd day and I can make out a chocolate coloured Kräusen. I've adapted the recipe though.

10.5 litres. Started at 1052

LME.............................................. 1.75 kg
dextrose. ...................................... 250g
crystal malt................. ................. 150g
chocolate malt .............................. 100g
Black Malt .................................... 100g
cocoa powder ...................................60g
vanilla extract.................................. 42g
East Kent Golding 60 mins ............... 15g
East Kent Golding 15 mins ............... 7g
East Kent Golding 5 mins ................. 7g
Notty yeast.

4th day and first trial jar.

Some surprises here! For one, it's at 1006 and 6.1% :shock: Used my usual LME so must be the dextrose I guess :wha:
It's a nice dark brown. Very rich aroma, chocolate is there but not too strong and as yet more bitter than I was expecting. I'm not sure whether this is the cocoa or a harshness that will fade with conditioning.

Anyway, very promising .......... and strong for me :cheers:

Pjam said:
4th day and first trial jar.

Some surprises here! For one, it's at 1006 and 6.1% :shock: Used my usual LME so must be the dextrose I guess :wha:
It's a nice dark brown. Very rich aroma, chocolate is there but not too strong and as yet more bitter than I was expecting. I'm not sure whether this is the cocoa or a harshness that will fade with conditioning.

Anyway, very promising .......... and strong for me :cheers:

I had the same thing when i took a sample while bottling. Chocolate was there on the nose but subtle in the taste and it was quite bitter. I tried a pint on Fri after 3 days in the bottle and the bitterness had died right down. It tasted frickin good actually! No head and little carbonation but i'm not worried about that after only 3 days in the bottle. Taking a while to clear too but thats just the cocoa i think.
The only thing a i forgot to do being the pillock i am was take a gravity reading before pitching yeast so i have no idea what the ABV is although my fg was 1010.
Choc and vanilla porter is the daddy!!

I'm sure your carbonation and head will improve.

howyoubrewin said:
It tasted frickin good actually!
Hehheheh brilliant :cheers:

I like IPA, APA, EPA type of beer normally but I don't wanna drink it all the time and this porter might make a nice change :)

Hi folks! 3/4 weeks in the bottle (can't remember exactly) and i have cracked a bottle of my porter. Pours beautifully with a nice yellowish head. Subtle carbonation akin to the style of beer and a strong presence of chocolate on the nose. Taste test and it has that coffee/chocolate flavour to it. Not sensing much of the vanilla apart from a sweetness in the aroma but overall i am absolutely delighted with this beer! It tastes like a porter,what more could i ask for!

Excellent :)

Hope I can get similar results. I'll be putting mine in the bottles this W/E ......

Hi folks! 3/4 weeks in the bottle (can't remember exactly) and i have cracked a bottle of my porter.

Only 2 weeks and a day in the bottle perhaps (bottled on 19th?), but sounding really good! Congratulations on a good brew.

My two s-04 brews continued to 'dry out' a little in the bottle after this point, but I guess there are a lot of factors.

Latest posts

Back