Cider apples

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe

Reaction score
Can cider be made with bitter cooking apples? My folks have got a great big old tree in their garden which, ever year crops a shed load of big old fruit, we're wondering if its worth getting hold of a press. Any idea of recipe too?

The only real way is to suck it and see!
I made an excellent cider where the juice tasted bitter, but didn’t affect the end product.
If it comes out too dry you can always sweeten with an artificial sweetner like “Splenda”.
I reckon on 20lb of apples per gallon of juice 2kg/ltr.
You will need to crush the apples before you press them.
Cider or Champaign yeast.
Hope this helps

Hi Joe,

I hope the brew is going well?

Cooking apples can be used for cider making, but works better when blended / pressed with desert apples, to make the cider sweeter and richer/fuller in flavour.

Just wanted to let you know about our web site where you can find more information about making cider and where you can buy the stuff as well.

http://www.real-cider.co.uk

Cheers!

Jim C

Thanks real cider, its a project for next september time when the tree is loaded again, i'll chesk out that site, thanks :thumb:

I made apple wine with a load of windfalls earlier in the year - got a 30litre tub, chopped up all the apples (cookers and eaters - bruises and all!) Covered them with water and added yeast, nutrient and pectalose - left it for three days giving it a good mash/stir couple times a day then strained through muslin cloth into DJ`s to each DJ i added 800grams of sugar dissolved in 250mls apple juice and then left to ferment out.
It was an experiment as i had a good sack of windfalls - the result was really good - a very cidery bouquet and a lovely refreshing 12% dry white wine - full apple taste to! I will definetley be brewing this again next autumn - its agood alternative to cider if you have no press and lots of free apples! I also made pear wine the same - which tastes a bit like pear drops!!!

That sounds like a good idea as we have no press, so chopping will be alot easier!!

Back