Cider Club idea - feedback welcomed!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Idiot

Regular.
Reaction score
First off, I just want to say sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place. Also, I must stress that I'm not selling anything; I just want some feedback to a germ of an idea.

I have a plot on a private allotment; we basically lease a field from a farmer and the rents from the plots pay the annual lease costs. Part of the field has turned out to lay damp for long periods, which means we can't use it for normal veg growing. This means we're slightly down on revenue, and so have been thinking of ways to use the space. A few people have come up with ideas, but they're a bit dull to be honest. So I came up with a plan...

I figure we can fit around 50 cider apple trees into the space (using M9 rootstock so it will tolerate the damp), which when established will give enough crop to make between 1,200 and 1,500 pints of cider. During the first few years this will have to supplemented by offering a garden clearing service to get windfalls!

The idea is to have a cider club, with a low cost annual membership fee (£10 or £15 a year, depending upon numbers - the rental shortfall is around £120 per year) which would simply cover the rent contribution for the space. Those involved would be involved in all aspects of cider production - planting and caring for the trees, building presses and scratters, recipe formulation, brewing, bottling, etc..

Obviously the involvement will be seasonal, so it would be supplemented with a general brewing club with monthly challenges. There'd also be other stuff like talks, visits, etc..

The idea is to have a laugh, mess around in a field, make cider (and beer, plus we have Birch trees we can tap, hedgerow stuff for wine, etc.) and learn a bit about the art that is cider-making. I know we could sell the cider and turn a profit, but I'd rather it was a bit of a laugh.

Here's where I'd love a bit of feedback. If something like that existed in your area, would you join up? I know I would, but I'm a bit odd! Also, what would you expect from it in terms of a return on your fees? Free cider, cheap cider, apples, equipment supplied? Essentially, as the money goes against the cost of the land, anything else is an addition.

I'm interested in what people think, because the alternative is growing willow, which isn't anywhere near as much fun!

Thanks

Is that what is done in villages Somerset and the likes :thumb: :thumb: There is one in Porlock in somerset if I remember correctly. :thumb:

As long as you are not selling and it is for private consumption I don't see a problem. :thumb:

I think its a great idea...

all I would expect is the experience of taking part, and during those days a few pints of cider would be the reward.. This way those who help more gain more :thumb: Maybe once a year a big get together in the field with the cider ( around picking time ).

Good luck, sounds great to me :cheers:

Where do I sign?

As a return I would expect some cider if I was helping to produce it, but mostly for the low cost you suggest it would be for an experience and a bit of fun... And a big summer cider party / festival :-D

A great idea :thumb: With the price of duck breast in Tesco's at 2 for £6 I'd be thinking pond :P
You could also keep pigs on that land, with the trees, worth looking into if it interests.

Vossy1 said:
A great idea :thumb: With the price of duck breast in Tesco's at 2 for £6 I'd be thinking pond :P
You could also keep pigs on that land, with the trees, worth looking into if it interests.

Mmmm cider and hog roast

Where are you ? please, please, please be close to me :whistle:

sounds like a great idea - I'd be up for that if it was near enough to me.
I'd expect to be involved with the brewing process - having DJs FVs at home, and I'd like to taste what other people have brewed - because so many factors can change the final outcome.
then I'd get involved with all parts of the process.

Have you looked at livestock? a couple of pigs, maybe some geese? they'd keep the weeds down, fertilise the land, and could be fattened up and eaten when needed.

You might have to look into the legalities, HMRC, Health and safety, DEFRA, etc. maybe if you set up a charity, you could accept charitable donations from people involved - instead of them paying you for the privilage - but IANAL (I Am Not A Lawyer)

Further to Crastneys and my post, as it's a farm the farmer may already have the licences/slaughter house set up for that farm, well worth a ask.

Commercial apples tend to be a poor pollen source, so commercial growers use crabapples every fifth or sixth tree. This doesn't mean you'll have lost space though - find some cider varieties that are on the low side in tannin, or use half cox's (since they're also good for cider) and you can put the crabapples in too.

Putting trees into that ground will suck up some of the wet, but that might not be enough. I'd put a two or three willows in as they will suck up a lot of the excess water. If you use the upright (rather than weeping) kind, you can coppice them for bean sticks - just make sure you either season them for a year or char the bottoms before using, or they will take root when you use them for the beans. Et voila, a useful crop.

There are others as well. Plant parsnips and let some of them run to seed. The seed-heads attract predatory insects which eat pests on the apple trees, improving health & yields. Peas and beans will also grow in light shade, providing a smaller yield but giving you extra nitrogen. Plus there's many leaf (brassicas, chard/beet, spinach, many herbs, etc.) root (beet, carrot) and berry crops (currants, gooseberries, raspberries strawberries) which will grow in light shade. The berries and some herbs (lemonbalm, applemint) can be used to flavour your cider. Mushroom logs (drill into 3" to 6" thick fresh-cut branches from pruning, and push in spore plugs) actually need the shade to provide a good crop. Of course, all this wouldn't work with Hawks' & Crastney's suggestion of pigs, but it's definitely an alternative worth considering. And if you do want livestock, chickens will eat absolutely everything a pig will and a few things a pig won't.

Good luck!

A good source for cider apples can be found here, they also do selection packs based on what type of cider you want, if you ask, worth checking or asking about special offers too ;)

I seriously like this idea... if there was one in my area it would seriously affect my marriage as I would never be home!! I would say that once the shortfall in the rent is covered then money shouldn't be involved... apart from the legalities, money has a sinister tendency to bring out the worst in people. So free cider for all those involved. If you need to buy equipment, have a whip round or organise a summer barbecue fundraiser or something. Many parents will pay a £5-10 "donation" for somewhere to bring their kids to run around and play with other kids while they eat barbecued meat and drink cider! I know I would.

Good luck to you.

:hat:

Thanks everyone for the feedback! It has helped in persuading the others that it could be the best way forwards!

Sadly the terms of the lease don't allow livestock, otherwise we'd already have pigs.

Finding cider apples on M9 rootstock has been a pain, but I've now found one place with a decent selection, so hopefully there should be the first trees going in next month!

Latest posts

Back