Cider Flavour.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CiderKieron

Reaction score
I normally add my flavor after fermentation, is that the norm? Is it better to flavor before, during or after fermentation?

Also, somebody mentioned a cider's flavor requires 2-3 months to develop - I normally wait around 3-4 weeks - is this a mistake?

Cheers everybody!

I must admit i don't really like flavoured cider, i am just finishing off drinking a batch of mixed berry which i wouldn't do again.
I have made many batches of cider in the past and i always bottle rather than keg.
They are in my view at there best once they have been matured in the bottle beyond three months.

The first one I tried, I added blackcurrant when bottling. As engineer says I wouldn't do it again.
I've got a raspberry / cider which I made as an experiment and bottled mid January. That was a bottle of raspberry syrup added to 3 litres of apple juice. I've yet to taste one of those though.
The first couple of ciders I made were very bitter before the two month stage. The last one I made isn't that old and doesn't have the bitterness the others had. Not quite sure why.

Take a look at some of Roddy's concoctions. He's the bloke to ask.

I have only done one unflavoured turbo cider as an experiment, and my experience with that is that the cider taste only starts to develop after three months, which is where I am at present. Whether it improves further remains to be seen.
I believe traditional cider makers usually leave it months to mature before it is then sold.
Anyway, you can drink it young but it's gnats p**s.

What do you add to flavour it mate?

I've made flavoured ciders many times using supermarket apple and Polish syrups to flavour..

Either adding at the end just to prime as well as from the start.

Worked pretty well so far, give me a shout if you want any recipes (although all the recent ones are in the brewdays forum 😃)

A lazy alternative is just to make a nice plain dry cider and bottle it. Then go Sainsbury's and buy Taste the Difference fruit cordials, mixed berry, strawberry and lime that sort of thing, not the diet stuff, proper fruit sugar no saccharine. Adding a blob of that to a glass of cider makes for a proper fruit flavour plus negates the need for artificial sweetener while brewing.

A lazy alternative is just to make a nice plain dry cider and bottle it. Then go Sainsbury's and buy Taste the Difference fruit cordials, mixed berry, strawberry and lime that sort of thing, not the diet stuff, proper fruit sugar no saccharine. Adding a blob of that to a glass of cider makes for a proper fruit flavour plus negates the need for artificial sweetener while brewing.

After trying my raspberry cider this weekend I've come to the same conclusion. When I opened it there was a nice raspberry aroma. Hardly any taste though. I think I'd get a far better raspberry taste by adding a touch of syrup.

However after Sainbury's pulled out of a deal to buy our ground
icon_mad.gif
witchhunt.gif

I'd go to any supermarket but them.

On reflection, slapping some flavour in from the start makes a big difference I reckon 😎

Anyone tried food flavourings
I make e cig juice for personal use
I like caramel, toffee etc
I wonder if a little toffee in cider would work

I like ther plain TC best, I'm not into flavoured cider, but out of the flavoured ones the NAS squash one is the best flavour, although not the best colour, that goes to the lowicz version (lovely red colour), but the lowicz ones also come out a bit stronger coz of more sugar.

I've found 1 month from bottling to taste ok but they come much better by 3 months.

Latest posts

Back