Cider from juice cartons

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yorkslad said:
I'll try just a small amount to be safe :thumb: The apple juice experiment worked out brill, it tastes pretty nice, will be a nice summer drink with lemonade and ice, will still get you drunk at 9.5% too :thumb:

good plan. Really ill have to give that a go in the near future :thumb:

LewisA said:
While on the topic of Cider from juice cartons has anyone tried using orange juice from the cartons to produce a cider like drink?
I did and it was horrid :( But doesn't mean that yours wouldn't be awesome :D

I did and it was horrid But doesn't mean that yours wouldn't be awesome

Thats a shame i was really looking forward to that one :( ill try it in a small batch and see how it goes i think :hmm:

LewisA, i tried it for you, dont even bother mate :sick: its disgusting :lol:
Make it with apple juice, thats actually pleasant to drink, especially with lemonade, gives it a refreshing taste and keeps the strength. I just used apple juice from concentrate, bread/bakers yeast and normal sugar :thumb:
Cheap fun experiment!

Yorkslad said:
LewisA, i tried it for you, dont even bother mate :sick: its disgusting :lol:
Make it with apple juice, thats actually pleasant to drink, especially with lemonade, gives it a refreshing taste and keeps the strength. I just used apple juice from concentrate, bread/bakers yeast and normal sugar :thumb:
Cheap fun experiment!

dam :( thanks yorkslad you have saved me a lot of time and effort :D what tasted so bad about it? yeah i will definitely give that one a go :D but looks like ill have to find some other obscure cider to produce :lol:

Well first of all the eggy smell was very strong but i just took a big sip anyway. It just tasted like pure orange juice but 10 years out of date :lol: No alcohol taste there at all, maybe its true, orange is simply too acidic for the yeast. Try some other juices, boil them if they have preservatives then start the brew :cheers:

Yorkslad said:
Well first of all the eggy smell was very strong but i just took a big sip anyway. It just tasted like pure orange juice but 10 years out of date :lol:

Ewwww :sick: sounds fairly rough ! :sick:

No alcohol taste there at all, maybe it’s true, orange is simply too acidic for the yeast.

That is strange but yes that is the only explanation that I can think of :hmm:

Try some other juices, boil them if they have preservatives then start the brew :cheers:

Don't you worry I’m going to ;) I’m already on 'my supermarket concocting some weird concoction :D

This is where its fun lewis, just getting food ingredients from the supermarket then turning them into a strong alcoholic drink. Its the exact method prisoners do and it actually produces a very drinkable beverage. Theres no rules as such, its fun to do and is no more than £5. My next batch will be even less as i have everything but the apple juice!

I had a cider that 'smelt eggy' - a friend told me that the yeast needed more nutrient, and longer in the FV, and it'd be fine.
added some nutrient, and left it for 3 months, then syphoned to a different FV to clear the lees, bottled after another fermentation, about 3 more months, and it tasted fine, and tasted even better after several more months in the bottle.

so it might not be a complete disaster, but I'm not a layer, so get some expert advice. :|

I went for the apple juice NOT from concentrate (i.e. pressed apples) from tesco and think its done with fermentation but the end result isnt clear at all its really cloudy, but I guess the juice wasnt clear to begin with so its not going to clear?

So I am bottling in steralised Magners bottles. Anyone suggest how much priming sugar to put in before capping? I didnt add any sugar in primary fermentation because I didnt want a strong cider.

amavadia said:
I went for the apple juice NOT from concentrate (i.e. pressed apples) from tesco and think its done with fermentation but the end result isnt clear at all its really cloudy, but I guess the juice wasnt clear to begin with so its not going to clear?

So I am bottling in steralised Magners bottles. Anyone suggest how much priming sugar to put in before capping? I didnt add any sugar in primary fermentation because I didnt want a strong cider.
It should clear given enough time. it could take a couple of weeks

I bottle ciders at 1tsp per pint, gives it a nice fizz.

evanvine said:
You need to add 1tsp of "Pectolas" per gallon!

do i need to do this and leave it before bottling ir can i add and bottle straight away?

cheers

Pectolase works best if it's added from the start. If you're adding it now, leave in a cool place for a week before bottling, or live with the haze this time but add it to your next batch.

Latest posts

Back