cider help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LiamGo

Reaction score
hi all, i brewed a magnums strawberry cider and a normal cider kit, forgotten the name.
i fermented each for 12 days then bottled them, i primed the strawberry cider as i wanted it fizzy and didnt prime the normal cider as i wanted that flat.

now, i know its only a fortnite since i bottled them but i opened one of each today to see how they were getting along, the strawberry one smells vinegary and eggy, i clean all my equipment thoroughly so id be surprised if it was an infection.
the normal un-primed cider is massively carbonated, i opened one bottle and it emptied itself in 5 seconds, it went everywhere, i dont get it, i didnt prime that batch? i went to put a bottle of it in the fridge to cool down and hopefully slow the carbonation but dropped it from about a foot height and i went off like a bomb!

these batchs cost me £50 i hope i dont have to bin them.

Sounds like the ones got a bacteria contamination. Other sounds like you didn't let primary fermentation finish.

Thats my thoughts anyways.

sounds like the normal cider did not finish fermenting, i also did one of those artificial magnum strawberry kits and that smelt the same... now after around 6 months it tastes pretty good and the bad smell has gone but i won't be doing another one now i have found TC :thumb:

12 days does seem a bit short for first fermentation - were you following instructions to the letter, or going by gut feeling, and using hydrometer to test SG?
what temp was the ferment at?
what was the initial SG, and final OG (when you bottled it)?
did you take any yeast through to the bottles? was there a lot of lees in the bottom of the FV?
how much sugar per bottle for priming?

to 'save' the fizzy stuff, you could let the gas out slowly, and retighten the lids (if you used screw tops!), otherwise open with care, and don't leave them too long, or they'll probably explode.

hope it's not too much of a waste, and that you learn something from this, and that you do carry on brewing your own.

it can only get better - right?

Crastney said:
12 days does seem a bit short for first fermentation - were you following instructions to the letter, or going by gut feeling, and using hydrometer to test SG?
what temp was the ferment at?
what was the initial SG, and final OG (when you bottled it)?
did you take any yeast through to the bottles? was there a lot of lees in the bottom of the FV?
how much sugar per bottle for priming?

to 'save' the fizzy stuff, you could let the gas out slowly, and retighten the lids (if you used screw tops!), otherwise open with care, and don't leave them too long, or they'll probably explode.

hope it's not too much of a waste, and that you learn something from this, and that you do carry on brewing your own.

it can only get better - right?

the instructions only said 7 days to ferment? i normally leave it for 12 days with the lager so thought it wouldnt be any different for the cider.
fermenting temps were around 20c
i dont really take sg or og readings but i think i will now!

ive put it all outside now in the shed, will the carbonation die down with the cool temps or just stay as they are?

another thing is when i open a bottle obviously bubbles rise from the bottom and its lifting all the **** up from the bottom of the bottles :/

Latest posts

Back