cider kits ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toastie

Regular.
Reaction score
are they any harder ? any difference ? what should i try to start off ? :)
cheers d

I agree with Mark. A good cider can be made from carton apple juice. It can be the value stuff but you need to make sure it is 100% apple juice.

Basically you ferment it with either a cider yeast or a wine yeast (cider is better IMHO). If you want clear cider you need to add 1 tsp per gallon of pectolase enzyme. You could just ferment the apple juice but what you will get is a rather insipid apple flavoured liquor more akin to your tramp juice gut rot ciders.

However if you want a decent cider then you will need to make a few additions. Firstly you need tannin, this can come from an exceptionally strong cup of black tea (strong enough that you wouldn't want to drink it or 1 tsp per gallon of tannin powder available from a home brew shop or online supplier. Next 1 tsp per gallon of malic acid. Finally it needs time to mature. Any cider be it a kit or turbo or from real apples will improve considerably with age, 2-3 months if you are impatient, 6 months if you can wait.

Hope that helps.

Toastie said:
are they any harder ? any difference ? what should i try to start off ? :)
cheers d

Cider kits are made up exactly like single can beer kits, pour the kit into the fermenter then add water and sugar (table or brewing sugar) to make up 23 litres. If your doing a flavoured cider kit they usually come with a flavouring pouch that is added to the fermenter 2 days before bottling/kegging, easy to make.

As for which kit to buy, you can't go wrong with 'On The Rocks Cider' brand of kits, especially the flavoured ones :D. Bottled with a bit of fizz, mmmm delicous :drink: . I've heard other cider kits are a bit shady and taste pretty average so I've never tried them.

For experimentations sake try both a kit and turbo cider and find out what you like best. No harm in doing that. :thumb:

I've not been impressed with TC so far although I have high expectations for the toffee apple TC. I know it isn't authentic but the Magnum elderflower kit was pretty good.

anthonyUK said:
I've not been impressed with TC so far although I have high expectations for the toffee apple TC. I know it isn't authentic but the Magnum elderflower kit was pretty good.

I think you know what I am going to say .....

TC needs time and plenty of it otherwise it is insipid. It also needs some or all of my suggestions above.

graysalchemy said:
anthonyUK said:

I think you know what I am going to say .....

TC needs time and plenty of it otherwise it is insipid. It also needs some or all of my suggestions above.

Totally agree GA. For those who haven't planned far enough in advance though a kit will have to do whilst the TC conditions.

Even kits need conditioning that is one of the things with cider as with wine and to a certain extent beer but at least beer tastes good as soon as it is conditioned it just gets better.

Latest posts

Back