Cider yeast question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wrongway

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am going to try a gallon of apple juice cider. I have a sachet of Mangrove Jacks M02 cider yeast which came recommended. However the sachet is for 5 gallon! which I don't want to attempt for a first shot at it. The yeast sachet is 9gms so can I use about 1.5gms and if so whats the safest way to save the rest.

I don't make cider but use a teaspoon of yeast in my supermarket juice wines, there are a lot of cider recipes on the forum that nay give you the aquantity to use.b

I'll try dividing the packet by 3 or something and put the rest in the freezer. At �£2.99 a sachet I dont want to use a whole sachet on a gallon of cider.

You could probably use extremely little of your yeast and make a starter from it, that will give it a chance to multiply really quickly and start working on your cider at once.

I did 1/3rd of a packet (3 gms) in a starter which seems to be kicking off nicely. I used 4 litres of apple juice from Morrisons which I will probably top up when the primary fermentation dies down. SG is 1.045 so should finish around 5 to 5.5% I am hoping.

Back