Cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cha

Reaction score
Hi I was going to buy apple juice to make turbo cider but the ingredients said it had citric acid in it so wasn’t sure if I could use it any advice would be appreciated

Hi I was going to buy apple juice to make turbo cider but the ingredients said it had citric acid in it so wasn’t sure if I could use it any advice would be appreciated
If it's palatable in the juice, I can't see it harming the fermentation of product. What particular juice is it?

It’s Tesco apple juice
I've been making "stuff" in 2L bottles (that used to contain Tesco's "Crofters" cider). I have started to use 1L of Aldi 55p juice, a (measuring) teaspoon of ground ginger, 1/3tsp of Wilko nutrient, 1/3 tsp citric acid, 7oz of granulated sugar, and bread yeast.

I've been making "stuff" in 2L bottles (that used to contain Tesco's "Crofters" cider). I have started to use 1L of Aldi 55p juice, a (measuring) teaspoon of ground ginger, 1/3tsp of Wilko nutrient, 1/3 tsp citric acid, 7oz of granulated sugar, and bread yeast.
A mug of strong black tea will help (tannins)...

Thanks! "I knew that, but had forgotten" (!) so it will go in the next bottle. I'd better do it now.

Cider yeast will eat all available sugars, and turn them to alcohol.
The easiest way to make a sweet cider is to back sweeten with non-fermentable sweeteners such as saccharin or aspartame. (Candrel, Sweetex, etc.)
Or use the French method (can't remember the correct term) but it's not easy!

The easiest way to make a sweet cider is to back sweeten with non-fermentable sweeteners such as saccharin or aspartame. (Candrel, Sweetex, etc.)
The french method? That's something to do with suppositories, isn't it?

Cheers when do I add the sweetener at bottling

This is why I stopped buying Thatcher's cider at their factory shop. I say factory shop, 'cos the place ain't what it once was (neither is its product, except for some bottled ciders, but excluding "Somerset Gold", ack, ptui!)". I had a big shock when I last tasted it prior to buying (so I did not). I was shocked. It was shocking.

They all seem to do that. Thatcher's Gold used to be lovely. As did Stowford Press.
I think at first they produce a really nice tasting cider (at great expense) to reel you in, then, after a while, they use any old apples they have knocking about to fulfill demand...
I wouldn't drink either of them nowadays...

They all seem to do that. Thatcher's Gold used to be lovely. As did Stowford Press.
I think at first they produce a really nice tasting cider (at great expense) to reel you in, then, after a while, they use any old apples they have knocking about to fulfill demand...
I wouldn't drink either of them nowadays...
I don't know. I'm talking about years ago, when it was possible to but "farm gate" cider, in 5L (previously gallon) containers, "bring your own" if you had them. I've seen all sorts of grotty, muddy, dirty on the outside receptacles being filled up! I don't remember "Gold" as other than a new cider.

You used to go to the shop (a long outbuilding on the right), and get your container filled with "sweet", "dry", or, as I used to "mixed", from barrels which were presumably replenished from time to time. That was in Sandford. There was another place up the road (a huge, black vat in a barn), and another place around the corner. There're still some smaller producers in the area, I went to one near the motorway roundabout last time, but his product was also sweetened, but not so badly.

"Gold" I would only drink were there nothing else available. I might even drink Foster's or budwiser in preferance, it would be a hard choice.

I seem to remember that Thatcher's Katy and "vintage" are reasonable, they used to do a "Somerset Redstreak" which was good, too. Now they seem to have gon all "big business", and there's little of the original left, if you ask me.

Still, they have advanced the technique of growing apples fairly significantly, which is good.

Cheers when do I add the sweetener at bottling

You can do, or you can do it in the glass just before drinking.
I bought lidl sweetener.

I was going to back sweeten at bottling but I decided it better to do in the glass, that way I or anyone else can add whatever amount taste requires.
You can also add sugar in the glass which i prefer to sweetener as obviously sugar added at bottling is for carbonation.

I mainly buy lidl apple juice or sometimes aldi, both 55p ltr.
I only go to Asda for pure red grape juice as i can't stand the place 😁

Here's lidl sweetener and a well known brand.
Spot the difference. Mainly price,
I can't tell the difference between their bourbon and Jim beam lol.

357435.png

71MWWnDVdWL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

I did an experiment last night funny enough drinking a bottle of my raspberry lowicz and apple turbo cider.
I added sweetener to one glass then sugar to the next.
Unfortunately it was my last drink at the end of the night and i cannot remember my conclusion as I was pished 🙄😁🍻

Latest posts

Back