Addition liquids

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJAughton

Reaction score
Hi All

I've a turbo christmas cider 1 day in bubbling away strong already

I'm thinking of adding more apple juice, would this cause issues?

Only you can tell by looking at how vigorous your current fermentation is.
How much bubbles are still on the surface. If there aren't many, then top it up
Thanks, I've not opened the bucket the airlock is bubbling away steadily every few seconds or so. I took this to mean the fermentation has started strongly. Can you add juice later like a backend sweetener?

I didn't know how much you were making.
If it was a demijohn, you would start 4/5 full to allow space for it to froth up.at start of fermentation, then add the rest of the liquid later when it's calmed down. If you don't you end up with it spurting out the air lock.

If you are doing 20l in a bucket, then it would have plenty of space to just start at full volume.

You can add more juice. But it won't work like sweetener, as the yeast will convert any sugar to alcohol.

I have to admit that I use a Stevia based sweetener to make my cider less raw at the bottling stage.

I didn't know how much you were making.
If it was a demijohn, you would start 4/5 full to allow space for it to froth up.at start of fermentation, then add the rest of the liquid later when it's calmed down. If you don't you end up with it spurting out the air lock.

If you are doing 20l in a bucket, then it would have plenty of space to just start at full volume.

You can add more juice. But it won't work like sweetener, as the yeast will convert any sugar to alcohol.

I have to admit that I use a Stevia based sweetener to make my cider less raw at the bottling stage.
Hi Jof, that's great thanks

I've gor 7L in a 10L bucket, personally I like dry cider but intend to share this so your sweetener suggestion is great.

I put it on to discovery I have more apple juice in garage so tho8ght might as well top jf up if won't damage fermentation.

Ive flavoured with smoked oak chips, cloves, cinemon and nutmeg it smelt great so if can top up for bigger batch I'm all game.

Back